Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Illuminati
1,059 Posts
Looks compact, needs a hugger, but ok for a Buell.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Strange looking thing. Man that a wide a$$ frame :confused:

· Registered
456 Posts
Buell

The same reaction as when I see someone hotrod a Volkswagon..................... WHY??;) Any of the Jap 600's, or even the new Triumph will absolutely shred the thing, and Harley reliability and build quality, as always would be an issue. Buy a air cooled 2 valve Duc, it would be WAY :cool:

· Ree-peat 0-fender
1,321 Posts
The looks are OK, but that's about it. And technically speaking the Harley sportbikes I have known and been around are garbage!

For instance, my friend has the M2 Cyclone, and 2 of his friends also have them. They all have had recurring problems with cracked headers, bad gaskets, and other misc. problems.

I wouldn't buy one because Harley's barely stay together most of the time anyway. And my friends and their bikes are a perfect example of why I wouldn't buy a sportbike from them.

As I always say -

YOU CAN'T POLISH A TURD!

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
Piece of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Ok. The Buell is a big piece of junk. How many races has Buell ever won? You can give a poodle steriods and it will still be a poodle, just a big ugly one.

man this guy on a Buell 1200 rolled with us the other day. What a piece of Junk. The whole bike shook like it was cold, and it looked like someone took a sportster and put a fairing on it. I would buy a freakin Katana (also piece of crap) before I ever bought a Buell. Eric Buell has got a long way to go before his stuff will ever be competitive. Sometimes being different isnt always the best.

Man that thing is UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Sorry, did I just overtake you
99 Posts
Had one on order but cancelled as soon as I saw it in the flesh. Looks like a 125cc learner scoot, due to its diminutive size and single disc :p

Its too tall and too short.

Best thing is it got me onto an R1!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
I think the XB9R is a great looking bike (as is the Ducati 916/998 and the R1) and may be the best choice for a small rider who wants to be different. I have a 1997 Buell S1 lighting and it has been great. The only flaws are a heavy clutch (lots of torque to deal with) and it does run out fo steam on the top end. The XB9R should be a bit better and it is a very exciting bike to be in the market.

I am sure it is reliable. My 2001 Harley Softail Deuce with fuel injection could not be a better bike. It starts easier than my friend's 2002 R1.

But I did see a funny T-shirt. It had a Harley logo and said "If they made airplanes, would you fly in one?"

· Question Authority
55 Posts
I had just sold an '00 UltraClassic (a bagger), and I wanted something light and fast again (had a ZX11, VMax and a number a smaller bikes over the past 11 years). I looked at every brand, every model, everything I could think of, for almost 4 months. I lurked in BBSs, read the good and bad about everything. I usually don't like to "be like everyone else", so I wanted something different. I checked out Aprilla, BMW, Ducati, Buell... I heard about the Firebolt and saw a picture and got interested. I read EVRERYTHING about Buell I could. Buell's early bikes were riddled with problems that were usually fixed with recalls. Bad shocks, bad shock mounts, bad front exhuast mounts.... But once fixed, the bikes are pretty stable. Yes, they shake, it's a V-Twin for chris-sake! Yes, they're slower than comparable bike of another brand. But, how many of you have said that a good rider on a slow bike can whip-ass on a bad rider on a fast bike?? To me, they look cool. They are different. BUT, as time went on, I kept looking at other bikes....I came here and started reading....I eventually canceled my Firebolt order, got my down payment back and drove home a blue '02 R1. To HELL with all you people that bug out cuz someone likes something that you don't. These people sound just as ignorant as the die-hard Harley fanatics with their "rice burner" and "jap crap" talk.
It's OK to be different, people. Isn't that why we all spend mega-$$ on stupid shit like paint, decals, iridium screens, grips with colored logos, new instrument faces, the list goes on................

2 wheels are 2 wheels.
Shut up and ride.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a Harley and a Ducati and a Buell and Suzuki. My friend has a '02 R1 that I sometimes ride. I have ridden his BMW also. What is amazing to me is that when I am on the Harley, Harley people wave at me. When I am on the Suzuki, they do not, but sportbike people wave at me. It is sad. I say we either wave to everyone, or no one (I am open to either solution).

My personal prejudices are that Japanese sportbikes are a good thing, but Japanese copies of Harleys are just copies of Harleys and I am not a big fan of copies fo anything. Just the original.

Now just in case you think waving is limited to motorcycles, I have a bright yellow Mercedes SLK, and whenever I pass another yellow Mercedes SLK, the driver ussually waves to me! I guess the feeling is that it takes an unusual person to buy such a car/color so we must be like-minded. We Hummer drivers also seem to wave to each other.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.