Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a fair deal. My 03 R6 plus $4200 (everything included) for the 04 R1. I know that I asked what my R6 is worth before but how does this deal sound? Thanks in advance.:thumbup

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,706 Posts
To me........thats roughly giving you 4700 bucks (actual money) for your R6......it depends on what you are needing to get outta your bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
R1_enough_said said:
thats roughly giving you 4700 bucks (actual money) for your R6
So you can get the 04 R1 at $8900 (everything included)?? Thats amazing if true.:eek: This deal is that I give them my bike and finance exactly $4200, sign the papers and am out the door.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
On2Wheels said:
So you can get the 04 R1 at $8900 (everything included)?? Thats amazing if true.:eek: This deal I give them my bike and finance exactly $4200, sign the papers and am out the door.
If that includes tax title liscence, then it's not a bad deal. but not a great deal.

If you want an 04, then i say do it, otherwise ride the R6 and just enjoy it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probally not the best deal, but the way I look at it is $5500 for my trade in and paying $9700 for the R1. To me that seems like a good deal, because people are paying more for the bike, plus tax, set up and what ever other BS they charge. But this would be $9700 with everything included. Any other opinions?

·
Taming the power btwn my legs!
610 Posts
I'd hold out a little bit longer until the "newness" of the 04 R1 wears out, then maybe you'll get a better deal. I would at least get $5500 for the R6. My friend Dan traded in his 600RR with 3000 miles and got $5400 for it on a trade in. Shop around, do some waiting, but get more for your R6. And if all else fails, say screw it, get the R1, and be one happy mofo, and post up pics!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QuicksilveR1 said:
I'd hold out a little bit longer until the "newness" of the 04 R1 wears out, then maybe you'll get a better deal. I would at least get $5500 for the R6. My friend Dan traded in his 600RR with 3000 miles and got $5400 for it on a trade in. Shop around, do some waiting, but get more for your R6. And if all else fails, say screw it, get the R1, and be one happy mofo, and post up pics!
I would get $5500 for my bike and pay $4200 OTD differance for the R1 which is equal to $9700 OTD. But I think I am going to do it and I will post some pics when I get it, but won't be for a couple of days still.

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,706 Posts
On2Wheels said:
So you can get the 04 R1 at $8900 (everything included)?? Thats amazing if true.:eek: This deal is that I give them my bike and finance exactly $4200, sign the papers and am out the door.

What I'm saying is that the "cost" of the 04 is roughly 8900-9100.......(price told to me by dealer)

So lets say 8900- the 4200 you are coming out of pocket, that leaves a difference of 4700 bucks.

Being a former car salesman, the only thing that matters when you are dealing is the DIFFERENCE that you are trading for.

You either trade retail-retail or wholesale-wholesale.

I'm guessing he will trade with you for the 4200 difference, ok,,now he only has @4700 acv (actual cash value) in your bike., he then will turn around and sell your bike for 5500+

Boom: profit

:fact

·
Sorry, thought you could ride.
112 Posts
And let's not forget about his holdback on the deal from the factory along with co-op and if you finance at the store, their will be the reserve he collects on your financing. The difference you get in interest and what the store bought the rate for. Ex: They quote that the best rate going is 6.9%, yet you were qualified through Yamaha at 3.9% and you don't know this. You sign. The 3 point spread in rate is their profit on the back end of the deal, paid every month from the Yamaha finance. Not to mention a $1500 extended warranty that costs about $650.
And Yamaha already pays the store a flat 1.5 hours of labor to prep the bike, so then they charge you again, for what's already been paid. Then there's that $350 doc fee, which is processing the papers in the office. The title fee, make ready, which means they wiped it down clean and put gas in the tank. Hell some stores charge delivery, which is already included in the invoice from the factory.

On paper what you see, is NEVER what really transpires. bottom line. If they show you on a purchase order, that selling price is $9700, then that's pretty close to okay. But I'm sure that they aren't including their fees/taxes/etc.

The store will make a grand up front on the sell, plus list your bike at $6900, selling around 6-6500 retail numbers. making another 2-2400 when they sell your bike, plus the interest rate spread again, and fees, etc.

Good luck, hope this helps.

- Pilot

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TeamPilot said:
And let's not forget about his holdback on the deal from the factory along with co-op and if you finance at the store, their will be the reserve he collects on your financing. The difference you get in interest and what the store bought the rate for. Ex: They quote that the best rate going is 6.9%, yet you were qualified through Yamaha at 3.9% and you don't know this. You sign. The 3 point spread in rate is their profit on the back end of the deal, paid every month from the Yamaha finance. Not to mention a $1500 extended warranty that costs about $650.
And Yamaha already pays the store a flat 1.5 hours of labor to prep the bike, so then they charge you again, for what's already been paid. Then there's that $350 doc fee, which is processing the papers in the office. The title fee, make ready, which means they wiped it down clean and put gas in the tank. Hell some stores charge delivery, which is already included in the invoice from the factory.

On paper what you see, is NEVER what really transpires. bottom line. If they show you on a purchase order, that selling price is $9700, then that's pretty close to okay. But I'm sure that they aren't including their fees/taxes/etc.

The store will make a grand up front on the sell, plus list your bike at $6900, selling around 6-6500 retail numbers. making another 2-2400 when they sell your bike, plus the interest rate spread again, and fees, etc.

Good luck, hope this helps.

- Pilot
Thanks for the reply. I really don't understand all the number BS, but the $4200 is the FULL amount (Tax, setup, prep, processing, and any extra fees they charge) So I don't know all the exact numbers but all I know is that the TOTAL amount that I will finance is $4200 exactly, not a penny more, on the Yamaha card at 3.9%. So how does this sound? Just trying to get as many opinions as possible.:thumbup

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
R1_enough_said said:
What I'm saying is that the "cost" of the 04 is roughly 8900-9100.......(price told to me by dealer)

So lets say 8900- the 4200 you are coming out of pocket, that leaves a difference of 4700 bucks.

Being a former car salesman, the only thing that matters when you are dealing is the DIFFERENCE that you are trading for.

You either trade retail-retail or wholesale-wholesale.

I'm guessing he will trade with you for the 4200 difference, ok,,now he only has @4700 acv (actual cash value) in your bike., he then will turn around and sell your bike for 5500+

Boom: profit

:fact
:eek: Where can I get an 04' R1 for invoice? DAMN!!

Anyways, yes the deal sounds good to me On2Wheels. I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
r1-superstar said:
:eek: Where can I get an 04' R1 for invoice? DAMN!!

Anyways, yes the deal sounds good to me On2Wheels. I'd say go for it!
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing about getting the R1 for invoice. I am not a dealer nor do I work at one, so I don't expect(sp) to get it at invoice. They are a business and are in it to make money. But again thanks and I am 99.999% that I am going to do it and I will take some pics when I get it. Just wanted to get as much input as I can before I do so.:thumbup

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
TeamPilot said:
Then there's that $350 doc fee, which is processing the papers in the office. The title fee, make ready, which means they wiped it down clean and put gas in the tank. Hell some stores charge delivery, which is already included in the invoice from the factory.
$350 DOC fee?:eek That's more than a car dealership. Please tell me what dealer this is so I can give them a piece of my mind. Our DOC fee here is only $87.50 and varies by dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts