Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Get The Hell Outta My Way
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As for me, I think they are having some problems at Dunlop getting these new tires sorted out. My front was still slipping around at nearly 200 miles, and I have read coments from 2 or 3 other people who don't trust the OEM tires on their '02 R1's.

Anyone else have an issue with these shoes?

· Premium Member
29,633 Posts
I was kinda dissapointed in the tires as well. I don't ride too hard, and I still don't feel too confident with the 208's on. I'm putting on Pilot Sports tomorrow and hopefully those will be to my liking.:)

· Sparks flyin'...
99 Posts
Tired of tires...

I'm kind of bummed with them too. I was doing some suspension fine tuing the other weekend, and couldn't figure out why the bike was running wide through the coners - the I realized it was because the front was pushing. I was rolling at a pretty good pace, but I prefer a little loss in durability for the knowledge that my tires are going to hold... Although all the slides I have had with the 208s are pretty smooth, I'd much rather have them NOT slide.

I think I'm going to go for the Rennsports. I have pretty much exclusively used the GPs on my R6, but they really are overkill for that bike on the street. I'd been thinking of trying the 207RRs, since a nice rounded profile is nice on the street, and the gooey compound is pretty confidence inspiring, but everything I have read puts the Rennsports over them. I'm going to order them in the next few days. I have about 500 miles left on the 208s, and I'm going to go back to the R6 for while while I have the R1's wheels polished. I should have a report up in two or three weeks....

Scott

· Premium Member
29,633 Posts
There aren't too many corners here in AZ. I already put on 4800 miles on my baby in under 3 months. What is a good tire with long life. I mostly do intersate riding and on ocassion a few twisties. Any suggestions? My 208's are spent and I'm putting on pilot sports today.

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
Rennsports are magic...

I'm not a MIchelin person - BUT (gulp) I've been considering Pilot Sports - they ARE sticky as hell.

I really like the rennsports however - I think they are the stickiest tire you can buy, with only one minor problem - it rains, and you are FUCKED - nearly no tread- sorry, I think that makes the rennsports NOT a very practical street tire - unless you are clairvoyant or you have the ability to change weather patterns on command...

Anyone who has used pilots though, please post - I'd like to hear your thuoghts...I mean I have a D207 on the rear of my 02 from day 2, since my 208 decided to pick up a screw, but im not thouroughly impressed, which is a first, usually I really dig the dunlops

· Live to Ride!!!
13 Posts
Anubis/Scud,

I love my pilot sports on my '99. I swapped last year and I think I will definitely stick with them. I got caught in a rainstorm just after I put them on, and to my amazement the wheel came up on me when I expected it just to break loose. Cold traction is awesome too, you sure don't have to heat them up to get them to stick! Not that you have to worry about rain or cold weather in AZ :cool: Wear seems pretty good too.

· Registered
52 Posts
I got an screw in my rear D208 with 100 miles on it. The only set of tires in stock at the local shop were some Metzeler Sportek M1's. I've put 800 miles on this set, and so far I think they outperform the 208 OEMs. However, with only 100 break-in miles on the original 208s I don't have much to compare against. One thing I did notice is that any grooves or cracks in the road do not affect my line with the M1s.

· Premium Member
29,633 Posts
Thanx for the feedback 99R1. I'm looking forward to the pilot sports. I've talked a couple of other people and not one had anything bad to say about the pilots.

· Registered
57 Posts
I have put about a 1000 miles on the 208's and I am not impressed with the inconsistant performance. At times the tires feel awesome and other times vague as hell. At first I thought it may be temperature affects but have since ruled that out. I have played with the tire pressures and they seem to perform best at 36psi, anything lower they really get unpredictable. The front definately seems to be the worst as they will feel like glue and then out of nowhere the front is pushing and sliding mid corner then right back to glue untill the next incident. Will be taking these off shortly and for street I will either try the M1'S or the H2'S. I run the PIRELLI SUPER CORSA'S on the track and love em!

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm not big on the dunlops myself BUT they are better than some of the tires they could put on as OEMs. I am getting ready to put Pilot Sports on mine and I haven't even used up the tire yet. I have strong faith in the Pilots due to the fact that my buddy puts them on his Turbo charged Hyabusa. If they don't slip at over 200 mph on that then I shouldn't have any problems at all.:eek:

· Registered
94 Posts
Re: Rennsports are magic...

scud said:
I'm not a MIchelin person - BUT (gulp) I've been considering Pilot Sports - they ARE sticky as hell.

I really like the rennsports however - I think they are the stickiest tire you can buy, with only one minor problem - it rains, and you are FUCKED - nearly no tread- sorry, I think that makes the rennsports NOT a very practical street tire - unless you are clairvoyant or you have the ability to change weather patterns on command...

Anyone who has used pilots though, please post - I'd like to hear your thuoghts...I mean I have a D207 on the rear of my 02 from day 2, since my 208 decided to pick up a screw, but im not thouroughly impressed, which is a first, usually I really dig the dunlops
Scud, i've just done 4.000kms (holiday) on a set of rennsports, they worked very well, and as per any hoilday that i take it seems to rain for at least 2 days, on these days the rennsports still worked bloodly well and i was able to ride at up to and over 200km/h with out any slides, its going into winter here and i'll be running another set all winter, the wear rate was good also becouse of the lack of tread,ie like a slick, the heat up fast even in the wet, get a set, try them, run a 180 rear.

· Rated R1 - Use Extreme Care!
26 Posts
I think the 208's are crap. I am used to riding on the 207gp's and we typically run them at 34 front, 32 rear. So, I set the 208's to the same and it felt like I was riding on jelly donuts. Set them back to 36 at both ends and they feel great.
I'm going to the track next weekend and get some takeoffs!!!

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Im getting tires next month. I think i'm gonna give the 207rr 's a try :yesnod

· Is that a gixxer in my mirror?
205 Posts
My first change of tyres on my '99 R1 was to 207's. I thought the were bloody great!

I was excited to hear that my 2002 R1 was coming with 208's, a revised version I thought! But no, I felt alot mor grip and security with my 207's, and I think I may well move over to them when I need to change.

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
Darryl!

That's really interesting man - let me ask you this - have you used both the pilots AND the rennsports? I'd be curious to know of the real differences between the two and the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other...any color?

· Registered
143 Posts
OEM Tyres

Just got 6500Km out of the Rear OEM Dunlop208L. For same type of running I would normally get 3500Km out of a Pirelli Corsa. So tyre must be fairly hard compound.

Had no problem with the Dunlops till the rear let go big time with no warning at Philip Island out of turn 12 onto straight. This is a FAST turn....Confidence became a problem. Fitted a 208 (no sufix letter?) to run out the front and have just done about 300Km on a fairly grippy track (Darlington QLD)and this tyre feels good but was not sure how far to push it.

Who knows what the difference is between a 190 208 and a 190 208L. There seems to be a difference in the profile outer radius and the 208 also seems stickier.

Anyway, I like the OEM Dunlop milage but would like my confidence back even more so think I will go back to Pirellis..

Stay safe..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.