Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am thinking of buying an aftermarket exhaust for my R1. I never did before although I watched a lot of videos on how they sound. I was wondering what you guys have on yours so I can make a comparison. I don't want to remove the db killer because I rather keep the money for more parts.

Another thing I wonder is, when I look for an exhaust for specifically my bike I see that the price is around 1000 euro's. Is this for a single one or dual? Since my bike has dual exhausts.

What should I get?

In return I will show you my beautiful R1 <3:

·
Venom X/O
23,679 Posts
When I had the my 09 I started with Leo Vince dual exhaust, then went with Graves low mount. Both made the bike sound amazing. The Leo exhaust was an affordable 3/4 exhaust system and had dB killers in the tips. The Graves was a full Ti system with CF muffler. No complaints with either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reactions guys. I hear Graves a lot but I might have found a good deal on Akrapovic slip ons (about 600 euros) in new condition. It just sounds to be too good to be true so I'm still checking it out.

I've done some research on wether to get slip ons or a full system and since I don't do any circuit races or anything and mainly just go cruising around I don't see the need for me to get a full system. Now that you mention it I would like to confirm this. Is there any need for me at all to get a full system? I know a slip on changes the sound, but does it improve horsepower and fuel efficiency too? Or is it just for looks and sound?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason for you personally to do so would be to reduce weight and get rid of heat. You can do that by getting a cat eliminator.

You don’t need the header.

Get the Slip-Ons and enjoy the bike for now.
Thank you. I wasn't able to wait any longer so I ordered it anyway. It's from eBay so I should be find with the money back warranty.

Don't you think this is too cheap?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are pics like I promised and he sounds awesome. But there is a burning smell coming off which got less as I kept driving. Also some smoke escapes from the pipes where the slip on is connected.

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
Burning smell is the packing inside the cans. That’s completely normal and will go away. It’s only doing that because they are new.

Not so sure about the smoke escaping from the connection. Check to make sure they are seated properly. You might not be getting a good seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if I should because I don't want to get a fine for it.

Is it bad for my bike if I remove that without changing anything else?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts