Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

10601 - 10620 of 10636 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,248 Posts
Started prepping and painting the spare bodywork to get ready for the rest of the season while a take a little break. Haven’t raced much this year as I’ve been spending my money remodeling the house, but that’s over so now it’s back to two-wheeled fun. Upper painted, lower and rest of bodywork needs some more prep, but more matte black and vinyls on the way.

View attachment 1017123
Who gives a rat's ***. Cut your grass and drop some seed.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,773 Posts
It's Florida.... they don't really have grass down there.... more like scrub brush.... ha!

·
Venom X/O
24,835 Posts
It's Florida.... they don't really have grass down there.... more like scrub brush.... ha!
Truth
Who gives a rat's ***. Cut your grass and drop some seed.
Frost killed it, it’ll grow back. I don’t have to mow for like months because frost will keep killing it before it grows back enough

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,005 Posts
After nearly two years I dragged the 2016 out of the garage and dusted it off. Installed the SpeedCell that had been in a box for ages (it checked out fine), checked the tires and poured in enough fuel into the bone-dry tank to get me to the neighborhood gas station. After getting used to trying to fit my ankles into my armpits (compared to the MT's riding postion), I opened her up a bit on some backroads. Keep in mind that these tires are 4 years old and the brake fluid looks like tea. But it was still a blast, even if the fueling map that Graves sent me when I installed the EVR is so rich that my gear stinks at the end of the ride. Getting that sorted is at the top of my list, followed by a thorough brake flush.

She's still a looker though.:love: View attachment 1017127
Nice. (y) Only 59 days to the first day of spring...

Reactions: Hooli

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,517 Posts
Wholly ****!! thats a recordo_O. whats the story with that?? thats an 02 right? probably its second set of tyres ever?😂. I've lost the front on a roundabout on 10 year olds back when i new 0 about tyres, scary shit!!
Bought it last summer. It's a 2003 and had 9,700 miles. The original owner put 7,700 on it and put these tires on it, then sold it to the guy I bought it from in 2007. This guy obviously only put 2,000 more miles on it in the 14 years he had it.
This guy told me the tires were "like new" when I bought it. 😄

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,413 Posts
Fu wuck....where do I begin.
This has taken a lil over 2 weeks. Waited on parts and a few hours after work here n there.

I was having a hard time finding Neutral. Now with a Yoyodyne slipper, finding Neutral takes finess but it was now a chore.

Checked clutch cable. No issue. So, ordered a clutch cover gasket and popped a Modelo.

I found what you see in Pic1. Wear on inside of cover and on pressure plate. Opened Modelo #2.

Removed pressure plate and found the broken spider spring in pic2. I stared for a min or so at it while drinking Modelo.

It was at this moment I knew, drop the oil pan. Metal in the oil? Not gonna take a chance now. I ordered oem parts, new clutch cover, bearings, seals, orings, modelo.

Started the work and chipped away....

I also finally rebuilt a slightly leaking water pump. Pic3.

New spider spring, clutch cover, EBC clutch kit, oil, coolant, & exhaust flange nuts. Cleaned up the pan & air filter. I also installed my ima thumb brake. (No pics sorry)

Now I gotta adjust side stand sensor, I moved it to drop the pan. Bike starts up, no leaks. Phew.... almost done.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hooli

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was having a hard time finding Neutral. Now with a Yoyodyne slipper, finding Neutral takes finess but it was now a chore.
Hi Tony, i have the same clutch as as you, and we have discussed the getting neutral problems before.
I wrote to TTS and Yoyodyne and they say you should have a all the plates in the clutch. I don't know how many times i had that clutch out. But in the end I got there, i took off the the longer 14b arm as it being longer it would rotate less.
Also I bought some thinner plates but only used two . And after getting it back from the tuner, the whom i asked his opinion about getting into neutral, and he said it was fine. It was too, I didn't have time to test it before it left for the tuner as the ecu had to go back to it's original place on the side, mine is placed under the fuel tank to protect it.
TSS and Yoyodyne also Fred from Yoyodyne
--- Fred wrote ----

Richard

The kit is designed so that the first plate and the last plate are a friction (not steel)
Are you using OEM plates or aftermarket?
I was using oem plates and the difference between the the empty basket and a full one should be 1mm.
I have also fitted a gear shaft support, unfortunately I don't have a picture. But it was something I fitted to the bike after I sorted out the neutral problem.
I haven't had a chance to test it properly, it probably be spring depending on our lockdown. I used a dial gauge and a depth gauge to make sure i got it dead on.
I don't know if of the any will help you, but i hope it is sorted now when you run it up. Good luck with it

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,413 Posts
Hi Tony, i have the same clutch as as you, and we have discussed the getting neutral problems before.
I wrote to TTS and Yoyodyne and they say you should have a all the plates in the clutch. I don't know how many times i had that clutch out. But in the end I got there, i took off the the longer 14b arm as it being longer it would rotate less.
Also I bought some thinner plates but only used two . And after getting it back from the tuner, the whom i asked his opinion about getting into neutral, and he said it was fine. It was too, I didn't have time to test it before it left for the tuner as the ecu had to go back to it's original place on the side, mine is placed under the fuel tank to protect it.
TSS and Yoyodyne also Fred from Yoyodyne
--- Fred wrote ----

Richard

The kit is designed so that the first plate and the last plate are a friction (not steel)
Are you using OEM plates or aftermarket?
I was using oem plates and the difference between the the empty basket and a full one should be 1mm.
I have also fitted a gear shaft support, unfortunately I don't have a picture. But it was something I fitted to the bike after I sorted out the neutral problem.
I haven't had a chance to test it properly, it probably be spring depending on our lockdown. I used a dial gauge and a depth gauge to make sure i got it dead on.
I don't know if of the any will help you, but i hope it is sorted now when you run it up. Good luck with it

Hi Richard! Yes I do remember us chatting about that! I do have friction plates on both ends of the pack. Judder springs in at the 2nd friction plate (toward bike) and 14b pivot arm.

The pack measurment was 1.01mm after assembly. I could not get it closer than that +- swapping steel plates. Yoyo has install instructions on their site which I took a gander at.

Bike shifted fine but I was just noticing a harder time finding N. That did not feel right to me so I started my bike repair/archeolgical journey. I did have a road map though!

Hope all is well over the pond Richard!

Reactions: dog78

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Richard! Yes I do remember us chatting about that! I do have friction plates on both ends of the pack. Judder springs in at the 2nd friction plate (toward bike) and 14b pivot arm.

The pack measurment was 1.01mm after assembly. I could not get it closer than that +- swapping steel plates. Yoyo has install instructions on their site which I took a gander at.

Bike shifted fine but I was just noticing a harder time finding N. That did not feel right to me so I started my bike repair/archeolgical journey. I did have a road map though!

Hope all is well over the pond Richard!

Hi Tony, very restricted here over the pond, but when the good weather comes hopefully we will out of this lockdown.
Yes I got mine to my as close as yours in the end.
Somehow it was 1.3mm, sometimes when you been at it a long time, i should have left it and come back to it the next day.
I never seen them spring plate snap before, you was lucky it didn't do any serious damage.
The clutch is heavy now with the oem arm, but it finally works fine now.
I hope what you have done sorts yours , and I agree it was a pain not being able to get it into neutral especially on street, but on track it was no problem as you don't use it hardly . But like you i had to get it right, when I spoke to Fred Renz, and he said it should go into neutral without problem. I knew it was possible. Got there in the end. Tbh i was going to get Seton tuning to look at it, if it was a problem. But he said it was no problem, same as am oem one.
I really don't know how I got there tbh. In the end I made a jig up for the dual gauge, at least I could see what was going on.
Take care Tony, stay safe

·
skers
221 Posts

Installed ceramic wheel bearings from Worldwide, all new titanium hardware for the wheels and made the underslung caliper bracket captive with the Gilles adjuster. Need to still measure the length needed for a new brake line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10601 - 10620 of 10636 Posts