Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
11161 - 11180 of 11213 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Mwattpusher, there's is something refreshing about riding w/o electronics.
The best mod I done on my twin was to put a ramp style slipper in, a Yoyodyne.
Does yours come with one as standard?
They have so much torque, and it transformed the bike on track. Will be working on it very soon, has not been started for 3 years, do full strip of the fuel system including throttle bodies and injectors and put in a Sonic bath and hopefully i will hear that beautiful noise of a twin again. The main thing in buying the R1 was to preserve the twin . Lovely looking bike and you kept in beautiful condition, a credit to you sir .
Them long exhausts look like mine too

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dog78
Thank you, Nice looking Aprilia. Are those a set of the forged RSV wheels? I miss my ‘18 RSV4 rr. That v4 motor had a lot of “character” and man that exhaust note🎼. Best mod I felt was going to the forged wheels, tip in and braking improved noticeably
On the 06 rc51 SP2, I’m in the process of swapping to Barnett Kevlar plates and new springs. I didn’t like the wear pattern with the yoyo slippers.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dog78
Thank you, Nice looking Aprilia. Are those a set of the forged RSV wheels? I miss my ‘18 RSV4 rr. That v4 motor had a lot of “character” and man that exhaust note.
On the 06 rc51 SP2, I’m in the process of swapping to Barnett Kevlar plates and new springs. I didn’t like the wear pattern with the yoyo slippers.
Thank you Mwattpusher, yes they are the proper forged wheels, stamped into the rim. It did start life as a stock 05 factory. I was going to bore it out to 1127, but the work was involved was a lot plus the expense, plus the motor had to be sent to Sweden. I would have thought the natural progression would have been to a V4. But i chose the R1, but now if i is had to pick between the modern ones, I am not sure my choice would be the same.
But for this old dog the R1 will do me i think for the rest of my riding days.
They have finally sorted that new V4 engine out. And you get so much with them. Like you i could not sell it like your RC51 and that Honda is going up in price. I never thought that old Japanese bikes would reach the prices they have, a lad I know bought the old H2 tripple two stroke £17k. So well worth keeping

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts
Made a couple of changes to the initial geometry. I thought i was going to be able to infuse the carbon this evening and come to find out that i didn't have enough resin. Lol

Helmet Blue Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Font Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thank you Mwattpusher, yes they are the proper forged wheels, stamped into the rim. It did start life as a stock 05 factory. I was going to bore it out to 1127, but the work was involved was a lot plus the expense, plus the motor had to be sent to Sweden. I would have thought the natural progression would have been to a V4. But i chose the R1, but now if i is had to pick between the modern ones, I am not sure my choice would be the same.
But for this old dog the R1 will do me i think for the rest of my riding days.
They have finally sorted that new V4 engine out. And you get so much with them. Like you i could not sell it like your RC51 and that Honda is going up in price. I never thought that old Japanese bikes would reach the prices they have, a lad I know bought the old H2 tripple two stroke £17k. So well worth keeping

*Installed a set of GB Racing engine covers
View attachment 1022385
View attachment 1022386

*Started Sanding and Priming new CRC fairings

View attachment 1022388
View attachment 1022387
Do they come pre drilled with blind nuts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the Akrapovic EVO full system, but it's too loud for my taste. Thinking to try the Track Day muffler and see if that mutes it a bit. I actually really, really liked the sound of the thing with the stock muffler, but the bike was getting too hot with the stock cat so tried this route (didn't really change it that much, but I think it cools a bit faster once up to speed).

I also did the -1 front +2 rear gearing change but didn't care for it and reverted the front sprocket back to OEM. Might revert the rear sprocket back to OEM as well..

Need to do a flash on this thing ASAP.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive lighting

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts
I find the Akra to be the softest out all of the other exhaust systems available. You can actually buy a silencer insert which cuts noise level in half.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had a SC project on my ‘20 before I sold it. That was like running an open header, and definitely lost a little power as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find the Akra to be the softest out all of the other exhaust systems available. You can actually buy a silencer insert which cuts noise level in half.
Would that be like the cat insert things I've seen for sale? I was thinking to try that as well. I am already running the DB killer which doesn't seem to make much difference on this bike, whereas it make significant reductions on my other bikes.

I like the system, but too loud and too much bark.

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts
Would that be like the cat insert things I've seen for sale? I was thinking to try that as well. I am already running the DB killer which doesn't seem to make much difference on this bike, whereas it make significant reductions on my other bikes.

I like the system, but too loud and too much bark.
Liquid Water Automotive tire Fluid Automotive design

This is what im talking about. I dont run it bc if I did I may as well run the stock header/cat and slip-on.

·
Unacceptable
1,501 Posts
Why not just run the stock exhaust and cat box with the exup wired open (and reflashed of course)? My MT had that setup for a while and tone and sound levels were perfect. Louder than stock but not as obnoxious as a typical decat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not just run the stock exhaust and cat box with the exup wired open (and reflashed of course)? My MT had that setup for a while and tone and sound levels were perfect. Louder than stock but not as obnoxious as a typical decat.
Honesty that is probably the way to go and I've been thinking about reverting it. I really only prioritized the exhaust because it seemed like the bike was running hot and that there was a TON of heat coming off the cat. From what I'm reading the flash might help with the lean condition in lower RPMs which is where I was having the most trouble with heat.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,928 Posts
You ride with ear plugs right?

Reactions: Buttafewcoe

·
Unacceptable
1,501 Posts
Honesty that is probably the way to go and I've been thinking about reverting it. I really only prioritized the exhaust because it seemed like the bike was running hot and that there was a TON of heat coming off the cat. From what I'm reading the flash might help with the lean condition in lower RPMs which is where I was having the most trouble with heat.
Two Wheel Dyno Works developed the flash for that setup. It worked wonderfully.

11161 - 11180 of 11213 Posts