Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 R1 shows code 42 after reinstalling the motor for tranny work. I looked in my service manual but didn't see anything for error codes.
thanks for any info.

·
I am my battery's tender.
2,217 Posts
They are under the "Fuel Injection System" section.

Code 42...

"No normal signals are received from
the speed sensor; or, an open or
short circuit is detected in the neutral
switch.

Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective speed sensor.
Malfunction in vehicle speed sensor detected unit.
Defective neutral switch.
Malfunction in the engine side of the neutral switch.
Malfunction in ECU."

Forget to plug in the speed sensor? White 3-pin plug at the back of the motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh thats what that plug was. Couldn't find the other end and thought maybe it wasn't used anymore. (The harness has been modified by Graves before I got it.)

Thats prolly why the speedo reads 0 now. It's a track bike so it's not too critical to watch the speedo but I'll go back in and try to find the plug. Dohh.

Thank you for such speedy help.

·
MTFBWY
10 Posts
I just had a bit of a scare. Got an R1M, did a track day, didn't like the Bridgestones, replaced them with Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP which is actually one of two allowed tires in the manual, the other being the Bridgestones. I went to scrub them in and got the SC (stability control) and ABS lights and basically nothing electronic worked except the running lights. The engine ran fine. I rode about a mile before I noticed the fault lights. I couldn't access the main menu. The quick shifter didn't even work. When it wasn't running but with the ignition on it said 42 next to the engine symbol. I called the dealer and said I had changed the tires, had scratched the rear sensor ring and took it off and turned it over so it had an unblemished surface. He said the distance from the sensor to the sensor ring was critical. To make a long story short I had put the rear sensor holder back together incorrectly which did affect the sensor distance to the ring. As soon as I fixed that all the faults lights went out. You can use either side of the ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts