Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,735 Posts
I had 17K on my '03 which is the same bike as the '02. I can tell you the "Suction Piston" fuel injection on those bikes just sips gas very easy. Mine got awesome mileage on the open road in 6th gear. Upwards of 50mpg riding very easy and not getting down on it. It got much better mileage than my '06 R6 does, but then again the R6 has two injectors per cylinder. Those year R1's were very dependable bikes with few reported problems. Lot's of low and mid-range torque too. I changed the plugs at about 13K and they looked almost new. Just keep the oil and filter changed and feed it a good quality of 93 octane and she will be happy.

·
Super Moderator
21,735 Posts
Hey thanks guys. Skeeter, Nice to see you @ the Deals gap sign. My brother in law and sister used to ride that all the time when they lived in VA. They just moved out to CA, but used to talk about Deals Gap a lot. They were on the Navy base around Norfolk area. Here is a link to see a pic from the their blog. Hope the link works. It is the first one I have posted.

http://www.jdryer.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=55&pos=13

Good deal. We have a week long R1/R6 Convention at Deal's Gap each June. It's a blast with way over a 100 forum members attending. Give it some thought. It's the best time I've spent on a bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.