Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Top speed yes will be decreased, but you'll accelerate faster.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
Wouldn't this make your bike slower?
You will lose mph off your top speed, but gain much more acceleration on the bottom and mid range. Plus, this is a good time to do the 520 conversion for less rotating mass.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Good set up for driving in town. A bit better acceleration.
...I suppose...though I dont' think i've ever had an issue passing anyone on a bike...especially with an R1

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
No I don't like getting over 140. My helmet starts to feel like it is going to be plucked off my head.
So then what are you questioning regarding speed being slower?

...btw, if your helmet is lifting from your head to where it feels like its coming off...the helmet is too big or not strapped under your chin correctly.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
joshlee glad the link helped. MOst important with chain kits is that nobody can tell you what is perfect for you and that you're always better off doing not enough gearing than too much. If you gear it too much you'll hate it, gear it not enough and you'll just shrug your shoulders and do a bit more next time, but it's still a good difference and an improvement.

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
I like the -1 +1 for the track and just running around. If I was hitting the freeway longer than 1 exit to the next, I would put gearing back to stock.

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Wouldn't this make your bike slower?

Slower is a relative term. What you have to ask yourself is 'wouldn't it make a bike slower at top end?'.
The answer for that question would be yes.
It would not make the bike slower overall though.

What that will do is move the power band down in the rpm range. This reduces the capability to go at top speed, but you do not use the utmost top speed anyway.
This allows you to get to useful speeds quicker. Shorter gearing is good for certain tracks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.