Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few threads about bikes racing cars with the cars catching the bikes on the top end. I don't understand that? I had a run with a Maserati Spyder today... In and out of traffic I was cautious and let him lead. After about 5 minutes of this we finally found 2 lanes of straightaway and made a run from about 90 mph....I waived good-bye, hit about 148 and just held it there and never looked back.....I could have still run faster but there was no need.....Why do I keep seeing others saying they are caught by cars???

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I've only been run down by one car. It was a 996 Turbo Porsche, and I pulled on him but by the time we were in 160 land he was on my ass. Now keeping speedo error in mind , we were actually in high 150 land but either way he was gonna pass me. Nothing I could do to stop it. I've run with FD's and sniped the crap out of them, I also ran a Firehawk TransAm and smoked the sheot out of him from a roll on of about 75-80mph repeatedly even slowing down to let him catch up and pulling away again. But the cars I look out for most are heavily modded Supras. ( Front mounts and massive APEX N1's are a dead giveaway ) Anything else would be a surprise around my parts.

·
06 is my year
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx... rescueswimmer.....:butt

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
170-175 mph :yesnod :yesnod

·
My R1 Is My Therapy....
424 Posts
Solidus said:
I've only been run down by one car. It was a 996 Turbo Porsche, and I pulled on him but by the time we were in 160 land he was on my ass. Now keeping speedo error in mind , we were actually in high 150 land but either way he was gonna pass me. Nothing I could do to stop it. I've run with FD's and sniped the crap out of them, I also ran a Firehawk TransAm and smoked the sheot out of him from a roll on of about 75-80mph repeatedly even slowing down to let him catch up and pulling away again. But the cars I look out for most are heavily modded Supras. ( Front mounts and massive APEX N1's are a dead giveaway ) Anything else would be a surprise around my parts.
I know that porsche on my ass feeling......I was getting on the parkway heading to deals gap with a buddy of mine with a heavily modded zx12(around 220 at the wheel) and we were going to air them out a little(I always wear full leathers).....Its about 20-25 miles of fast sweeping road way up in the mountains, you can stay pretty steady around 90-110 through the corners with good tires and we were there.........I slowed down for a 50mph curve about 2 miles in and i see a porsche in my rizoma mirror......Tires had heat so we began our run(sunday morning ritual)......We get about half way through and hit about a 3 mile straight that we can normaly exceed 160 plus for a while........DAMN......I slow down to about 80 setting up for the next fast corner and this damn porsche is right on my ass:scared ........We stopped at the end of the parkway for a break and the porsche pulled in behind us....The guy was all smiles getting out of the car and said" Damn you were flying through those curves" and then proceeds to say"I was going to come around you up top on that long straight but didnt know if i could slow down fast enough at the end, before that corner"...........Turns out it was a 4wd turbo car(dont know my porsches) with a lot of mods...........Thats the fastest car ive ever run through there.........BIG RESPECT FOR PORSCHE.......

·
G Addict
2,851 Posts
Real world GPS and Radargun times in the 9/10s mile are 174mph at the rev limiter all stock with just a pipe and fuel management.

·
Twisties 32 miles 2.5 mi away
926 Posts
The hot cars catch up because of a superior drag coefficient(high speed aerodynamics). The fairings on sportbikes are designed with marketing in mind and though much better than nothing, are not very aerodynamically efficient.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
:lol :lol :lol

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
I chased a SALEEN Mustang down the road at 175 and could not catch him.. I finally backed off because I was worried about his windshield wipers coming off and hitting me in the head... Of course with speedo error, I was probably only doing 168+or-

·
Broke old fat and slow!
264 Posts
I did 170 mph on mine, but that wasn't the top yet (no more straight road left).
:riding :jump :) :yesnod

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Viper333 said:
Real world GPS and Radargun times in the 9/10s mile are 174mph at the rev limiter all stock with just a pipe and fuel management.
Same here. 174MPH with full system and fuel management. Are they still going out to U.S. 27 and doing the 9/10s thing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts