Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Based on tire wear, I think something is way off. I have no clue.
Can anyone tell me what causes this? A suspension guys comes to the track once in a blue moon. Coaches have no ideas either.
I have stock suspension. 2016 r1.

my rear shock setting is

My preload is 7 thread showing from the top, it was 5 thread from factory.

Rebound is 8 clicks out from max

Fast Compression is 3 turns out from max

Slow compressiong is 6 clicks out from max

I am 210 lbs with gears.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Can you take a closer picture of the edges of the tyre tread grooves? Also, can you take a photo from a different angle, that is looking at the tyre from the same angle, but taking the picture from the front of the bike, looking backwards?

It looks like hot tearing, but it's hard to see. The discoloration of that band of the tyre looks a bit like it's overheating. I'm guessing you run the traction control around 2-3? That part of the tyre is the bit that takes the full thrust of corner exit acceleration (obviously) so, if it's hot tearing, you might need to add 1-3 psi and see if it changes.

If you can take really close up pictures of the tread grooves, from the centre, middle shoulder, and edges of the tyre it might show a few more clues about comp/reb settings.

Reactions: y32dsm

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take a closer picture of the edges of the tyre tread grooves? Also, can you take a photo from a different angle, that is looking at the tyre from the same angle, but taking the picture from the front of the bike, looking backwards?

It looks like hot tearing, but it's hard to see. The discoloration of that band of the tyre looks a bit like it's overheating. I'm guessing you run the traction control around 2-3? That part of the tyre is the bit that takes the full thrust of corner exit acceleration (obviously) so, if it's hot tearing, you might need to add 1-3 psi and see if it changes.

If you can take really close up pictures of the tread grooves, from the centre, middle shoulder, and edges of the tyre it might show a few more clues about comp/reb settings.
I added more pics, and yes I use TCC 3

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Thanks mate - from the pics, I can't be sure, but I'm leaning more towards cold tearing. From the edges of your tread grooves it looks like your rebound & compression is dialed in nicely. If it were me, I'd be checking cold / hot pressures. My mate has an infrared thermometer we use at track days, and combined with checking pressures we generally get our tyres pretty good.

He's had to drop his tyre pressures as low as 25psi in order to get them up to the right temp! for whatever reason, my tyres get to temp at 29. Neither of us can explain why!

·
Registered
429 Posts
The shock is undersprung for your weight, for starters. Stock spring rate is 9.0 (8.99 per the manual).
To give you an idea, I'm 165lbs without gear, and I'm starting with a 9.5 spring, with the option to later go to a 10.0.
Of course this is all pace dependent. If you're mozying around the track at a novice pace this doesn't matter too much. If you're a faster intermediate to advanced guy start with a spring/shock change.

Also, I would do the same thing to Bridgestone R10's with my R6 at my local track. It was a very low-grip surface and I believe the tire was slipping and ending up looking the same as what you have pictured. No amount of tire pressure changes would fix it.
I did not experiment with shock changes though. I suspect I could have found a better setting if I cared to work at it. I don't frequent the track though so it wasn't worth the effort to me to try and extend the life of some take-offs.

Try another tire too, and report back.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Suspension is good. Change tires. Rs10s did that to everyone in 2015 when we tracked our bikes. Try pireli super corsa for the win

That's hot tearing by the way. Or melting for the average joe.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suspension is good. Change tires. Rs10s did that to everyone in 2015 when we tracked our bikes. Try pireli super corsa for the win

That's hot tearing by the way. Or melting for the average joe.
Pirelli superbike slick 120/70, 200/60 is on the way!

What kind of setting adjustment do I need? to compensate extra height of the rear tire?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shock is undersprung for your weight, for starters. Stock spring rate is 9.0 (8.99 per the manual).
To give you an idea, I'm 165lbs without gear, and I'm starting with a 9.5 spring, with the option to later go to a 10.0.
Of course this is all pace dependent. If you're mozying around the track at a novice pace this doesn't matter too much. If you're a faster intermediate to advanced guy start with a spring/shock change.

Also, I would do the same thing to Bridgestone R10's with my R6 at my local track. It was a very low-grip surface and I believe the tire was slipping and ending up looking the same as what you have pictured. No amount of tire pressure changes would fix it.
I did not experiment with shock changes though. I suspect I could have found a better setting if I cared to work at it. I don't frequent the track though so it wasn't worth the effort to me to try and extend the life of some take-offs.

Try another tire too, and report back.
I will try slick first. I really hope that the slick solve the issue. Anyway, suspension upgrade is "soon" during off season.

Maybe I am too spoiled because of DOT tires. R10 was sliding all over, and I couldn't get feedback.
The front tire was lazy turn in as well, I had a hard time flipping the bike on fast chicane.

Thank you for your feedback!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My vote is for the tires. Mine had RS10s when I bought it and they seemed OK on the track. Put on another set and the rear looked just like that. It was toast in 9 sessions. The front is fine, but the rear is just a crap tire. It would spin on initial throttle application too.

I put on a Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 and what a fantastic tire. The wear was perfect and amazing grip compared to the Bridgestone. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a 200/55 DOT SC2 supercorsa on and I didn't adjust anything in terms of geometry. The 200/60 will get the rear a bit higher so it will feel easier to tip into corners I would think. If you don't like it just raise the front up a line or two to get back to the same attitude. Honestly though you prob will be fine.

My rear shock is:

Rebound -6 clicks out (from fully closed). (was -8 out for last track day but I have since added 2 more clicks in)
HS comp 4 turns out
LS comp (stock setting) of -10 out.
Stock Preload. I'm 175lbs naked

Front Fork:
Last track day I used full open front comp and rebound. Super bumpy track and I was too lazy to change it. That's the setting I run on the street most times - especially in the spring and fall when its colder out - Full open both comp/reb

Normally on the track and if its smooth and hot out I'm around -10,-12, even -8 out rebound somewhere around there and for the compression around -14 out.

Added two turns front preload (stock is 9 turns in) so I'm at 11 turns in.

Honestly I love the OEM suspension on my R1 - and my buddy on a fully kitted Ducati 1199 with top shelf ohlins tried mine at a track and was laughing how smooth and soft it was. It generates so much leaned over grip. I couldn't wait to get off his 1199. Mine was like riding a sofa around the track next to his.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,674 Posts
Just looks like a hot tare to me...bump the pressure up a few psi....they are street tires...no?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like cold tearing not hot tearing, to me. Both look similar but you can see evidence of melting with hot tearing.

OP, what cold pressures are you using, are you using tire warmers and/or are you giving your tires long enough to heat up before railing on them?

I have ~1700 mile and 2 track days on my OEM tires. I set them at 28psi front and 25psi rear - as per Bridgestone's track day recommendations. The pictures below are what mine looked like at the end of their second track day (last Monday, Sears point, A-group mid pack). The track got hot in the afternoon and I was using lift, slide and traction to full effect :) You can see evidence of melting but no hot tearing.

Attachments

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,674 Posts
The track matters too....We were at pit race this weekend, and my buddy had a tire that looked exactly like the OP, and it was a hot tare.....we added pressure and it cleaned up super nicely. The new surface at Pitt Race is super abrasive, so it overheats the tire, and end up with hot tares...This is especially true when he came back complaining of the tire feeling greasy at the end of the session....a tell tail of a hot tare....

OP did it feel like the tire got greasy as the session went on?

The reason it is a hot tare, is that if you look at the edge of the tare near the edge of the tare, it begins to change direction to going around the circumference of the tire, where as a cold tare does not do that. OldMadBrit your tire is at the correct temp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had my warmers on, cold psi 2/ 25, hot 31/30. The front was ok. I could trail brake, and the surface of the front was silk smooth. However, I was in trouble when exiting corners. Sliding, wiggling, feeling greasy, and etc. The rear did not have traction I expected. I didn't want any dramas, so I was at one higher gear than I normally was when I am in steep lean angle corners, (toe slider touching corners). Basically, what I felt was tip toeing in high lean angles. No contact patches......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 200/55 DOT SC2 supercorsa on and I didn't adjust anything in terms of geometry. The 200/60 will get the rear a bit higher so it will feel easier to tip into corners I would think. If you don't like it just raise the front up a line or two to get back to the same attitude. Honestly though you prob will be fine.

My rear shock is:

Rebound -6 clicks out (from fully closed). (was -8 out for last track day but I have since added 2 more clicks in)
HS comp 4 turns out

Front Fork:
Last track day I used full open front comp and rebound. Super bumpy track and I was too lazy to change it. That's the setting I run on the street most times - especially in the spring and fall when its colder out - Full open both comp/reb

Normally on the track and if its smooth and hot out I'm around -10,-12, even -8 out rebound somewhere around there and for the compression around -14 out.

Honestly I love the OEM suspension on my R1 - and my buddy on a fully kitted Ducati 1199 with top shelf ohlins tried mine at a track and was laughing how smooth and soft it was. It generates so much leaned over grip. I couldn't wait to get off his 1199. Mine was like riding a sofa around the track next to his.
I ran superbike sc2 front/ sc1 rear slicks yesterday. It looked way better than stock tires, and I could abuse them with confident. Grip was insane, but I still think I have setting issues. I lowered compression and rebound a lot on the front and the rear, then I felt better and I actually felt what suspension was doing. My rear tire has many small rubber balls, and the front looks ok, but not ideal. By the way, this bike kept doing wheelies with stock gearing even at 3rd gear; B mode power 1. I was having hard time kept up with r1's power. It was hauling my ass, and I held on tight not to fly off from the bike.:angel: lol

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing your settings,
when you say fully out, how many clicks on fork rebound and compression? I'm on 18clicks out for both.
It looks like you only have shock HC softer than stock settings and all "harder", is this ur shock settings for track or strret as well? BTW, Thank you for responding to my PM a while ago.

My rear shock is:

HS comp 4 turns out

Front Fork:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thanks for sharing your settings,
when you say fully out, how many clicks on fork rebound and compression? I'm on 18clicks out for both.
It looks like you only have shock HC softer than stock settings and all "harder", is this ur shock settings for track or strret as well? BTW, Thank you for responding to my PM a while ago.
Yes the shock has harder rebound from stock and softer high speed comp. low speed shock setting is stock setting.

I pretty much leave the shock settings alone for street or track. I could tweek it a bit for the street if it's cold out but I usually don't bother.

The fork for street is pretty much always open for both. I think it's around -25 out but honestly after -18 out it's prob not changing much. Just count the turns till it stops. It's a lot more than what the book states.

The fork for the track I'm somewhere between -8 to -12 out for rebound depending on temperature and track conditions. -10 or so is a good place to start.

I like to keep settings on the loose side. I like a smoother ride for the most part.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts