Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jesus, i weight 150lbs without my gear.

when i measure the sag on the rear, i get 30mm like i want, but i need to be at 9th level of preload...

that was measured with no fairings on the bike, full tank, wet and oily.

i imagine i get more then 30mm of sag with full gear and fairings.. i HATE that.. i know that sportrider.com recommends 8/9 preload, meaning its set for skinny riders!

what are your sag measurements / preload settings

thanks
david

ps: bike has 35 000km... it was beaten to death and previous owners did weight alot (fat ****s), so spring are probably tired...

·
The Patient
1,643 Posts
that much mileage, at a minimum, you need to change the oil in forks and shock, you could have the rear rebuilt and sprung for you but by the your done revalving, respringing etc etc youll be within 400 of buying a nice ohlins 46prxls used

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yyyeah... how i do mods on the bike: either cheap... or replace stock part when its shot :p

i just hate playing with swingarms and shocks.. never done it actualy and it looks like a pita. will wait .. and get ohlins some time

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes it does.
When I bought mine it came with the bottom bracket too.
So all I did was bolt it on
I don't know why everyone says it doesn't for the price I paid used 60 bucks it was worth it
I can't afford a 1300 dollar ohlins setup yet nor do I do enough trackdays to justify it.

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
The stock item is great for road use, on the track, useless, bike runs wide out of corners is the first problem you'll have.

Ohlins is serious over kill for the road.

As for adjusting the stock item, it's minimal, either hard or soft, at 35k I'd toss it, you have any idea how much suspension works so after 35k...guess it's knackered.

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great for road use? i dont know but at the hardest preload, 160lbs with gear... i get a big sag. and its 35000km not miles btw.. but still.

what makes a big difference on how the shock works (what i can notice) is changing the rebound (around 30clicks? lol)

any ways i'll play with the swingarm and shock sometime.. will see if its worth changing

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Ok, let me put it this way, if you have the cash to spend then go for it, your choice.

Just keep in mind that the stock unit does work and the only problem/limiting factor is that it has to cover everyone from small to large:boobies so it will probally not do what you racers expect.

If you push your bike to it's chassis/suspension limit on the road then well, ever try track riding?:epimp

naa, again, you have the cash go fit a complete unit, I would however not play around with swapping springs, then you just going to overwork the damping system....do it right first time I say...:dollar

·
My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the 04-06 is pretty shitty... 160lbs and i get 35mm of sag with the preload at max.

now i want 25mm for trackdays.. gotta tighten rebound and compression instead.. not the same feeling.

AT LEAST the rear squashes when i open up in turns :p
saves me from sliding all around

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
well it's pretty simple really, if you have max preload and still too much sag you need a stiffer spring.

Generally speaking with the oem stuff there is a bigger range of adjustment on the rebound side than there is on the compression side. I don't mean number of clicks or turns, but rather in the actual change in dampening.

race tech can sell you the proper spring for your weight for like $100. Figure 30-50 bucks to have it swapped out.

will that work as well and dampen the bumps as well as a $1500 aftermarket shock? No, but it's less than $200.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
24,167 Posts
well it's pretty simple really, if you have max preload and still too much sag you need a stiffer spring.

Generally speaking with the oem stuff there is a bigger range of adjustment on the rebound side than there is on the compression side. I don't mean number of clicks or turns, but rather in the actual change in dampening.

race tech can sell you the proper spring for your weight for like $100. Figure 30-50 bucks to have it swapped out.

will that work as well and dampen the bumps as well as a $1500 aftermarket shock? No, but it's less than $200.
I'm with JAY on this. I paid $109 for the spring, and they installed it free of charge (changing the spring is actually easy if you have the spring compressors).

Most will take the approach of searching for an Ohlins or something, although they may not need that much shock.

If you are looking at an 04 that has 16,000 miles or greater, it's probably due for a rebuild (oil change etc) and it might be worth looking into sending to RaceTech or another reputable company for a full rebuild with valving changed to suit your riding and a spring. It will still come in many hundred dollars below an aftermarket shock.

That being said, mine is probably due for rebuild (04 model, 12,000+ miles, track time, many rough miles, and I weigh 220). Not sure I'll rebuild it. Might have to do a little something different :sing:

Seriously folks... before you sink a ton of money into something you might not benefit from, call Race Tech or Traxxion or another company. EVERYONE can benefit from proper suspension setup, but 5k worth of suspension on the street may be excessive. These companies offer fantastic alternatives.

·
Banned
1,249 Posts
ok well i have a 04 with 9k miles so i just bought a 07 shock on ebay for cheap im gonna get a rach tech spring for that then cause im a big guy weighing 210 6'3.....im a audi mechanic so im sure i can do the labor by myself no biggy there thanks guys

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
I'm with JAY on this. I paid $109 for the spring, and they installed it free of charge (changing the spring is actually easy if you have the spring compressors).

Most will take the approach of searching for an Ohlins or something, although they may not need that much shock.

If you are looking at an 04 that has 16,000 miles or greater, it's probably due for a rebuild (oil change etc) and it might be worth looking into sending to RaceTech or another reputable company for a full rebuild with valving changed to suit your riding and a spring. It will still come in many hundred dollars below an aftermarket shock.

That being said, mine is probably due for rebuild (04 model, 12,000+ miles, track time, many rough miles, and I weigh 220). Not sure I'll rebuild it. Might have to do a little something different :sing:

Seriously folks... before you sink a ton of money into something you might not benefit from, call Race Tech or Traxxion or another company. EVERYONE can benefit from proper suspension setup, but 5k worth of suspension on the street may be excessive. These companies offer fantastic alternatives.

Dan, where did you get your spring?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.