Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Moderator - In Memorium
25,903 Posts
well it's pretty simple really, if you have max preload and still too much sag you need a stiffer spring.

Generally speaking with the oem stuff there is a bigger range of adjustment on the rebound side than there is on the compression side. I don't mean number of clicks or turns, but rather in the actual change in dampening.

race tech can sell you the proper spring for your weight for like $100. Figure 30-50 bucks to have it swapped out.

will that work as well and dampen the bumps as well as a $1500 aftermarket shock? No, but it's less than $200.
I'm with JAY on this. I paid $109 for the spring, and they installed it free of charge (changing the spring is actually easy if you have the spring compressors).

Most will take the approach of searching for an Ohlins or something, although they may not need that much shock.

If you are looking at an 04 that has 16,000 miles or greater, it's probably due for a rebuild (oil change etc) and it might be worth looking into sending to RaceTech or another reputable company for a full rebuild with valving changed to suit your riding and a spring. It will still come in many hundred dollars below an aftermarket shock.

That being said, mine is probably due for rebuild (04 model, 12,000+ miles, track time, many rough miles, and I weigh 220). Not sure I'll rebuild it. Might have to do a little something different :sing:

Seriously folks... before you sink a ton of money into something you might not benefit from, call Race Tech or Traxxion or another company. EVERYONE can benefit from proper suspension setup, but 5k worth of suspension on the street may be excessive. These companies offer fantastic alternatives.

25,903 Posts

25,903 Posts
i went to the link entered my info no spring avail for my bike with my weight i even went do to 170 didnt change says no spring series avail for your bike
Holy smokes... I see what you are talking about. You must have to call them for a list of what parts it will take to make it work. Usually they require their adapter collar to make it work. It's a good thing. Instead of the ramped type adjuster you can adjust it for the exact sag numbers you want.

I'm sure by now they have access to a spring, because the calculator is loaded with the slope curve. It might be an Eibach spring which is why they want you to call them.

25,903 Posts
for the 04, its apparently sprung for 191.5lbs .. lol

Rider Weight: 191.5 lbs.
Recommended Spring Rate: 0.930 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate (measured): .930 kg/mm (stock)

so with max preload and 160lbs i think my shock is done... i probably will just respring but ive seen some cheap ass ohlins around... not the pro ones just simple ones around 400$ max
Did you look up a shock spring, or a fork spring?

Your post shows Stock Fork Spring Rate, and the shock spring for that would be 8.89 (they sell a 9.0 or an 8.5, the stock SHOCK spring is 8.6).

But yeah... you can find a used Ohlins for a few hundred bucks.

Check and be sure you looked up the right part before you spend too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.