Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
'nuff sed
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but I'm kinda ignorant on the R7. Beyond being a collector's item what makes it so special? I hear it handles like a dream but I'd love some more specifics. And how can RWHP barely exceeding an R6 be all that special to R1 owners? Also, anyone know roughly how many Yamaha sold and in what years? What is the engine displacement?

·
`mmmmm... Sweet Nectar`
495 Posts
Its very rare. It was a homologation bike... a race bike for the street in limited numbers produced to make it legal for the race season. Other than that, I dunno. I guess its just a rare bike that has everything necessary for the track.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
if i am right it is 750 im not exactly sure on that it is a very rare bike that is not really good on the street is what they say becuase the riding postion but in general on the track it is great. how is it so much better then an r1 because it is set up with the suspesion and brakes and gearing for racing where you can go faster on an r6 then an r1 sometimes

·
'nuff sed
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I should make sure my previous comments aren't misunderstood. I understand thet pure HP is not all that is necessary on the track. In fact, many riders would prefer a well handling bike over a powerful one on the track. Anyway, keep the comments coming. That's interesting that Yamaha was forced to make a street legal version in order to compete. Was this in WSB?

·
WFSR************
5,352 Posts
southern118 said:
if i am right it is 750 im not exactly sure on that it is a very rare bike that is not really good on the street is what they say becuase the riding postion but in general on the track it is great. how is it so much better then an r1 because it is set up with the suspesion and brakes and gearing for racing where you can go faster on an r6 then an r1 sometimes

I would beat me wih an r6......definitely faster than me on the One

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
i bet greg250 would be quicker on his 250 then you on yoru r6

·
(.) (.) + Liquor = My Job
844 Posts
I believe they are restricted Race bikes basically. They are 750s, and they came all decked out. Ohlins all around, steering stabilizer, etc. I was told if you unstrict them they have as much HP as much as 150 HP at the crank but I can't remember that part exactly since its been a while seen I heard anything about them. I believe they were made from 99 to 00 too. Another thing that comes to mind is dual spark plus and a high compression, but again this is stuff thats comnig back and tis been a while since I read anyting on them. They look damn good nad are very rare, I remember they were like 30 to 35K, and Yami never brought them to the US. I remember running into a for sale ad from the UK.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Race bike sold to 'regular' people on the street. More than anything like the last guy said was completely decked out. Not much to add suspension/brake/frame wise. Several engine mod upgrades available. More than anything its rare, its expensive and its a cult thing.

Unless you are truly pro-racer material, chances are you'd be pretty much as fast on the track with a basic modded 03 R6 as you would a 99/00 R7. Not to mention replacement parts for the R6.

No one would I know (even on this forum) would waste the money just to have an R7 to ride on the street, and or to ride on the track. Just way to expensive and risky for such an expensive bike.

You'd be much better off spending the same amount of money to get the 04 R1 for the street and the 03 or newer R6 for the track.

·
Registered
587 Posts
its a 750cc motorcycle fitted for racing, produced in few hundreds in order to be eligable for racing in WSBK. It was said to handle like a dream compared to other road production bikes, although no other road going bike has or was fully dressed for track use.

a ducati 996 dressed to race will make an R7 feel like a tank.

the bike in my opinion is absolutely worthless unless your a collector. Even so, being a collector, I cant and just dont view the R7 as a collectors piece...more so a mistake by yamaha...

although with a few adjustments it was said to pull around 150-160hp... again, no one is riding for factor yamaha, so anything over even 100hp is pretty much braggin rights and or waste of time if you ride mostly on the street.

·
Roadracing is fun!
68 Posts
keep-up said:
Sorry but I'm kinda ignorant on the R7. Beyond being a collector's item what makes it so special? I hear it handles like a dream but I'd love some more specifics. And how can RWHP barely exceeding an R6 be all that special to R1 owners? Also, anyone know roughly how many Yamaha sold and in what years? What is the engine displacement?
Well there's many reasons why the R7 (750cc) is special.
To begin with the R7 was a completely new bike based upon the current GP 500 factory racer. (The chassis on the R7 is known as very good and after seeing Haga doing what he did noone is arguing that!) It is designed only with racing in mind with no care taken to street riding. Expensive materials like titanium was used inside the engine along with a slipper clutch.

Also Öhlins suspension front and rear as standard. As a streetbike it is a waste with power only matching an R6 and way behind an R1 but with the race kit parts it destroys bikes like std R1's on the track. Only a very few numbers were ever built.

In short a no compromise bike built to win the WSB which it nearly did in 2000 with Haga.

The reason for wanting one in my case is that I was looking for the ultimate track toy and to me it is!

Check here for more information on the R7:
www.karls-racingteknik.se/yamahayzfr7.htm
www.ow-02.com/

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you look at R7 specs, they don't look impressive because what is being sold is a handicapped version of the bike that's very easy to unrestrict. For example, on the street version, the throttle opens only 75 degrees, so if you just change that, you got yourself 25 on the top end.

To oversimplify things, one could say that the bike handles like a set up 600 but still has the power of 1000. It comes stock with many racer mods, like ohlins all around.

I think they sold later years in Europe only. Do they still make some for the Euro market only? I know it's not sold in the US anymore...

Is it expensive? Yes. But if your insurer insures on engine size (like statefarm), your 30K R7 may be cheaper to insure than your 10K R1.

·
(.) (.) + Liquor = My Job
844 Posts
Is it me or is the bike leaning against the garage in the second pic? I wouldn't lean any bike against the garage let alone an R7!

The R7 is freaking cool, if I found one for sale I'd consider buying it... for 3 reasons. 1 its rare and 2 the chances of seeing another one will be slim, 3 its a badass performance bike.

Like anything thats rare and expensive those that can will, and those that can't wont understand why.

·
69 Posts
Few month ago i read an article in the PS (german newspaper) about the test work of the Öhlins Test Crew. They had two test bikes, a modded R1 with the SBK fork (damn sweet :rock ) and a R7 OW02 from 2000.
They said the R7 pressed 174hp to the clutch and 168!!!!hp on the rear wheel at something around 100nm and 169kg with fuel. I dunno if it was an undecked stock R7 or a real SBK bike. Nevertheless, it rocked :fire

1 - 20 of 38 Posts