Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cuban Grl R1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm a faithful Yamaha woman, and have always rode (R1's), from just the look alone, to how they rode, to how I felt on them, always attracted to me to the Yamaha, moreso than any HOnda, Suzuki ext, ext........

HOwever, I do ride with a bunch of guys, and some of them are actually in the market now looking for rides. Of course, I always am bragging about Yamaha, but in all honesty, the question has came up to me time and time again when Im bragging, -- What "officially" or "unofficially" makes Yamaha better , more dependable, more anything mechanically or otherwise than Suzuki, and HOnda, and Kawi's??? I could really use some concrete facts here too of course, or even from anyone that's owned all others and now owns Yamaha ext, ext........

Maybe any mechanics out there that can shed some info and knowledge too would be so helpful.........

In other words, instead of acting and soundling like I know what Im talking about that Yamaha is just the best, or one of the best at least, I'd like to back up my smack talk for a change.........................lol

I"m also in the market for a used R1, preferably a RAven and I would need financing if anyone knows of one anywhere, let me know please, Im going through some serious withdraw as you guys would probably understand.....................................

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you ride one now? Or you're sharing your ride with someone?

To me, no other sportbike beats an R1 in its looks

Why R1? I quote from Wikipedia:

"The Yamaha YZF-R1 motorcycle, introduced in 1998, is Yamaha's 3rd generation liter-class Genesis motorcycle capitalizing on the numerous cutting-edge developments designed into the FZ750 ( first 5-valve Genesis head), FZR1000 (first factory bike to use the EXUP) and YZF1000R ThunderAce motorcycles. When introduced, it took the entire class closer to a true racing motorcycle with its dramatic acceleration, braking and superior handling capabilities."

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts
Welcome to the Forum R1Cubangrl!! For me personally it's looks and ride position.

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:thumbup

Welcome to the forum, yeah I have encountered the same. Why the R1 ? all the above is good posts and very relative to the conversation.

I normally emphasize the following:

It's stayed true to it's design since 98 to 2007/2008
Power to weight ratio is excellent
Best handling, throws around like a 600
It is the best braking superbike to date, especially the later models (7 callipers on the 07/08 :jump
It is also the best looking, and easiest to enhance with many accesories and aftermarket products.
If people as why just say : "Because I can"

If they a start higlighting the con's like the heat issue (later underseat exhaustmodels) tell them to go and do a bit of research on the subject. It' abot what the rider can tolerate, it does'nt bother me and every bike has it's pro's and con's. In the R1 the pro's outweigh the con's by far. Is there any con's ? Not for me.

At the end of the day it's about personal preference andwhat appeals to you. Looks, handling, performance and price. It will always be a vey competetive industry. Fight for what you believe in.

Some people want to ride ugly bikes, other want the newer model of whatever his / her friend has, just to piss him/her off. Some people want to see what gear they are in on the LCD on the speedo (WTF - Who cares, and who looks down - keep it in the powerband, it's about rpm's (and you can hear her howl) not gears.

Invite them to the forum and tell them to read up a bit, it's a passion, lifestyle, a rebelion and a choice. End of the day it's a brother- not forgetting the sisters-hood.

Stay true to who you are and fight for what you believe in, this goes beyond our bikes aswell.

:fork Ride Safe and Respect the Beast :rock

·
Cuban Grl R1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes Yami better?

Ok good info, thanks for the welcome's too !!!Wikipedia good info as well........I"m just still trying to look for some concrete stuff I guess..........or am I missing something???

You guys are great.....come one, some one though has to have insider or a wealth of knowledge if we all ride Yamaha as to why "officially" they're a better bike - hence why we ride it right??

Any info is so welcomed and good info trust me........................

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
All the bikes are so close to one another it's all pretty much irrelevent and comes down to preference. If you desire looks and fast turn in out of the box yamaha.

If you desire the more low end torque and are concerned about horsepower maybe the GSXR.

If you like easy to ride and user friendly maybe the CBR 1000rr

ect..

I like the way the R1 handles and brakes and looks, that's why I chose it. I wish it shifted a little better though like my buddy's 1000rr.

0.02C

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mainly personal pref

Welcome R1Cubangrl

The scope of your question is so vast...

If its performance...at the world level, both Superbike and MotoGP, all brands are tenths or even hundredths of seconds apart which for street riding would translate to nil

If its looks the R1 hands down...sleek and sexy

It's all opinion of course and really it's the one that you can look at or ride and it gives you butterflies or excites you every single time

·
Banned
797 Posts
Anyone knows the tuning forks makes Yamaha the standard to which others are measured.

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,623 Posts
Part of a post I wrote last year on the subject of why I buy Yamaha's. I've owned 39 and never had a big problem with any of them...

The Euro's put out some nice bikes but are usually down on performance and/or outrageously expensive compared to the Japanese bikes. That, and you never know when they might go belly up. So that leaves you with the big four. I think design philosophy has something to do with why I stay with Yamaha, their fit and finish has always been the best of the four. Probably comes from the fact that they started out by making musical instruments (still do) that have to made almost perfect or they don't sound right. Kawi on the other hand started by building ships and locomotive engines, surgical precision not required but they do make hellaciously strong engines. Honda and Suzuki started out by making engines for bicycles but Honda seems to have branched into everything these days and concentrate more on their autos and corporate jets than motorcycles. Honda also seems to make their products difficult for the home mechanic to work on, they make a lot of money in their service bays. Suzuki is now just a division of Kawasaki. Kawasaki and Suzuki merged back around 2000. All of them make really outstanding products nowadays but to me it still seems to a slightly different degree.

Anyway, just something to think about but that's why I ride Yammies (plus they're the best lookin' )

P.S. have also owned one each of Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Rupp and Harley.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.