Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cuban Grl R1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I posted this question in the "general discussions" thread too, gotten a few good responses, but wanted to try to post in this thread too...................

I'm a faithful Yamaha woman, and have always rode (R1's), from just the look alone, to how they rode, to how I felt on them, always attracted to me to the Yamaha, moreso than any HOnda, Suzuki ext, ext........

However, I do ride with a bunch of guys, and some of them are actually in the market now looking for rides. Of course, I always am bragging about Yamaha, but in all honesty, the question has came up to me time and time again when Im bragging, -- What "officially" or "unofficially" makes Yamaha better , more dependable, more anything mechanically or otherwise than Suzuki, and HOnda, and Kawi's??? I could really use some concrete facts here too of course, or even from anyone that's owned all others and now owns Yamaha ext, ext........

Maybe any mechanics out there that can shed some info and knowledge too would be so helpful.........

In other words, instead of acting and soundling like I know what Im talking about that Yamaha is just the best, or one of the best at least, I'd like to back up my smack talk for a change.........................lol

I"m also in the market for a used R1, preferably a RAven and I would need financing if anyone knows of one anywhere, let me know please, Im going through some serious withdraw as you guys would probably understand.....................................

·
My R1 is faster than yours
1,505 Posts
im by no means a professional on this topic and honestly i have ripped apart a motor from almost all the major companies too. I have done work on an r6,r1, 636,954 f4i and the daytona 675. IMO there are no concrete things that i can think of that makes any one company better than the others. I have found from riding alot that the honda engines are surprisingly reliable, i say that but my cousins 05 zx10 has 75k miles on it and he rides the crap out of itand we have had no major problems with it. I personally think that Yamaha has always had a good build quality on their bikes, and they have always been ahead of the curve on new technology too.
Last year they attempted at doing a variable intake on the R1 although not completely successfull i can think of any manufacturer that has tried it yet.
i dont know if any of this rambling has actually helped you but when it comes down to it, its all about personal opinion. IMO i think that the R1 is the best looking bike hands down, although i say this i dont think the bike is perfect by any means.
heres a little list of things that come to mind

it needs a gear indicator, it needs a lap timer, pass button, slipper clutch factory would be nice....dont remember if they are doing yet, i wish the engine was smooth through the power band like the 06-07 gsxr1ks, i wish it had the same brakes as the new cbr600rr, i wish the back of the headlights looked like the 03-05 r6.
I am a perfectionist though and could pick apart any of the factory bikes, thankfully this is all small things that can be changed

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
tough question... yamaha has been known for fit and finish of ther bikes. fit of plastic, design of frames and such. usually superb handling and awesome brakes. mechanically.. there all pretty good. 2nd gear is issue for all modern bikes... its not design problem.. it rider problem.. rider gets comforatble.. gets what i call lazy foot.. and doesnt get bike all way into 2nd and it comes out, then it starts to round off the dogs on gears. each manufacturer has seen spun rod bearings, recalls and such. there squeezing lotsa of power out of these motors for everyday use. yamaha has jumped onto new bandwagon with fly by wire, adjustable stacks... look at all bike now... yamaha had patent on EXUP valve... patent expired or something of sort.. now almost every liter bike out there has some sort of exhaust valve. yamaha definately wins in styling department. but in end.. its up to buyer as to what they want or need.

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
its like the story of goldilocks and the 3 bears, it feels just right...
:thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.