Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2041 - 2060 of 2070 Posts

·
11,739 Posts
Sgt. Will Gardener 10/10

Watch it. I'll let the movie speak for itself.

Watching it now. Great so far. Anyone who's a veteran or active duty will get it.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
Not a movie, but another mini-series...

Chernobyl - 9.5/10

This is the best thing I've seen out of HBO since Band of Brothers, PERIOD. For the amount of reading/learning I had to do about Chernobyl in school, I'm not sure I ever really got such a complete picture/understanding of the circumstances and the people involved.

·
11,739 Posts
From what I've seen on the show so far and what I know about it from my nuke days in the Navy it's historically accurate as far as events but some of the details are purposely changed. Not sure why they did that because russian nuclear technology back then was a joke so why cover it up. The part about the meters all not working was supposedly correct though. Scary idea for sure. Not sure if the actual time stamps are accurate but why show that if it wasn't accurate?

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
From what I've seen on the show so far and what I know about it from my nuke days in the Navy it's historically accurate as far as events but some of the details are purposely changed. Not sure why they did that because russian nuclear technology back then was a joke so why cover it up. The part about the meters all not working was supposedly correct though. Scary idea for sure. Not sure if the actual time stamps are accurate but why show that if it wasn't accurate?
Although I haven't listened to it, there is a companion podcast about the things they changed for the show, and why. Some elements don't work in the format. For example, one character (which they explain at the end) was made up to represent "hundreds" of scientists who helped out. It's a dramatic retelling of a real event, not a straight-up documentary, so it makes more sense in a show format to make that kind of choice.
All the final conclusions of the show are real. And they don't cover up anything about the flaws of the RBMKs, but it's all laid out in narrative form (and summarized in total near the end of the show). In-between episodes I found myself reading all about the design and the flaws that caused the explosion. I knew Chernobyl could have been "worse" but I had no idea it could have been so much worse than it was.

·
11,739 Posts
I don't think the reactor blowing up is what caused all the cancer. I think it was the chain smoking EVERYONE seemed to be doing on the show. >:) Kind of weird to see people smoking in a hospital.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
Eastern Europe, man! Haha, actually a buddy of mine who spent time in the '90s riding around Europe said you could still buy pre-mixed gasoline everywhere! :lol

So funny you mentioned the dodgy RBMK tech. I read a Twitter thread from a Ukrainian who said they portrayed so many things about USSR life correctly that they hadn't even thought about. They said that they didn't think Russia could even make as good/accurate of a piece on the whole ordeal, and everything that had been done was literal fake news - conspiracy BS somehow saying US spies or whatever caused it to happen. FUNNY THEY MENTIONED IT...

https://news.avclub.com/russia-hates-hbos-chernobyl-vows-to-make-its-own-serie-1835298424

·
11,739 Posts
The thing they hammered into us about it that they didn't really address was that the russians had almost no preventative maintenance. It was run it until it broke then fix it and lie on the reports. Caught up to them in a big way. We'll never know how much damage it did to the rest of the world either. Japans reactor accident was handled better but I doubt the whole truth was told their either.

2041 - 2060 of 2070 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
234 Participants
dazza45
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing