Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the r1-forum and wanted to know the exact oil that would be best to put in the bike, I noticed the manual gives a range of different types of oil and different temperatures related. I live in California. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever
618 Posts
Welcome to the forum! This topic is highly debated, oil is like religion. A search of the forum (or any motorcycle forum) will give you plenty of examples of "experts" giving their opinion. I am no expert. You didn't tell us what motorcycle, and if its new or not; keep in mind that motorcycles under any type of factory, or extended warranty have language about maintenance and its best that you use exactly what the manufacturer recommends, and use only manufacturer branded oil and filters (and keep the receipts). I know its silly, but doing otherwise gives them the easiest reason to void your warranty. If your bike does not fall under a warranty then you have lots of options; if a full synthentic is appropriate for your motorcycle, I think most people would agree that's the way you want to go over a semi-synthetic, or petroleum based oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
keep in mind that motorcycles under any type of factory, or extended warranty have language about maintenance and its best that you use exactly what the manufacturer recommends, and use only manufacturer branded oil and filters (and keep the receipts). I know its silly, but doing otherwise gives them the easiest reason to void your warranty.
Common misconception. Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act the warrantor cannot require that you use "their brand" of oil. "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions." 15 U.S. Code § 2302 - Rules governing contents of warranties note (c)
In order to require their oil they would have to prove to the Federal Trade Commission that the motorcycle will ONLY work with their specific brand of oil...which isn't the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts