Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
blah blah blah
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my oil...can I just used some mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 car oil? or do I have to get some yamaha oil? thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're going to use car oil...make sure it doesn't have friction modifiers in it...should say on the back of the bottle if it does...I use mobile 1 MX4T...like it...seems to work well.

·
blah blah blah
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok

is there a specific weight of yamaha oil that i should use.
Also, do I have to fill up the oil filter with some oil before i put it on. thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yah, Prime your filter before installing it. Put some oil in and let it get "absorbed" before you screw it in, otherwise you get spillage!

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
i used to use the standard Yamalube..... then a guy at the dealer told me about the Semi Sythitic R-4 10W-50 they have.... so i started using that.... works good.... bike felt better and shifted better.....

·
blah blah blah
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i rub canola oil on womens' breasts...works great

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
amsoil full synthetic 20 50 kiks ass i wached the rpm go up 500 rpm from original idle it also come in 10 40

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,588 Posts
i've been told that some Full synthetic oils will eat away at your clutch disk and make it wear faster.... just something to think about when choosing an oil

·
blah blah blah
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info guys. I guess I will just get some YamaLube 10w-30…unless its outrageoulsy priced

·
Did I do that?
35 Posts
If you are going to go with the Yamalube use the 20/40 instead of the 10/30. It is designed for warmer temps and with summer around the corner I doubt you will be riding much when it is below 40

Just my .02

I personally am looking for a good synthetic and have not yet decided on what I'm gonna use.

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
yamalube sucs it foams to mutch

·
392 Posts
Get yourself a gallon of this and you'll be good to go!

Motul 10W50 Semi-synthetic

*warning this product is manufactured in France. Just in case you're an American who refuses to buy French products

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic. This one doesn't have friction modifier so it's ok to use on bike. Pricing is about the same as the regular yamaha lube but you will get the benefit of full synthetic performance.

·
blah blah blah
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok they only had two bottles of yamalube left at the bike store and they didnt sell Motul so I went and bought 4 bottles of Suzuki 10w40 4-cycle oil....will this be ok to use for a few months....

oh yea...they had some brand called Sikolene or something 6.99 per quart...is that good stuff?

i saw some 20w50 yamalube racing oil...whats that all about?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts