Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· My ZX9 eats R1's
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, the wife said I could buy a new bike. Those that are married know what getting permission from the wife is like. I've been looking at all the 2002's. The R1 and CBR fit me very well "I'm 6 foot 4 inches tall and 240 Lbs.". The GSXR's ergo's are too race like and uncomfortable BUT I love the power that thing puts out. The ZX9 well, its comfortable but I want something different I have a 1998 ZX9 and love it but its time for something new and my ZX9 can spank all the piped R1's and CBR's I've come across so far on road cources and quarter - half mile drags, then there gone. So now you know what I like in a bike and what I do on them, also love wheelies and stoppies. I'm looking for opinions of what you like and or dislike about the above bike if you own one of them in the 2002's only. Or should I just wait for the 2003's? Please help.

· One time at band camp.......
158 Posts
Whassup? I bought a 1998 ZX-9R new back then. I loved that bike! But, my 2002 R1 is twice the bike(and not that there is anything wrong with the ZX9R). I have looked at the 954 next to the R1, and I bought the R1. IMO it was a better choice. Also think about what most of your riding is(ie. straights, curves, roadtrips...etc.). I just think the R1 is sssooooo sexy! Oh, and I am married so I do know how that permission thing goes. It is more out of respect for the wife than being PW'ed. Good luck and let us know what you decide....

Later:thumbup

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
Not to be biased...

I say go for the R-1 (and a steering damper). You wont be wrong. The 954 is nice but the seat sucks, and the bike is even more unsteady than the R-1. The R-1 looks awesome, handles great, and has mondo power!

BTW, I came up on a 9R that was piped, jetted, filter, sprocket etc... Neeless to say my then stock R-1 had no problem pulling it. I know I know its all in the rider but this dude can ride. Before that day he was bragging about how he could spank any R-1. Not..... After I whooped him he was like "well I've only got 899cc" yea whatever.

Anyways, like I said, go with the R-1. Cant go wrong.

Phil

· I eat my R1
140 Posts
The R1 has pretty racy ergos itself. You can't really tell when you're just sitting on the bike, but once you get going, you'll soon realize that no matter what, your weight will always be on your arms. I think the 954 is a bit more upright, more comfortable ergos.

· My R1 amazes me
36 Posts
MY OPINION....

I HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THE R1 DUDE! I CAME FROM A 1997 CBR 900RR AND I HAD THE OPTION OF THE 954(WHICH I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA GET,ONLY CUZ I THOUGHT THEY WOULDN'T PLAY WITH THE R1 PRICE) AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I FEEL THIS BIKE AS A 200% BETTER BIKE THEN THE OLDER CBR900RR AND NOT JUST ON POWER AND TRACK WORTHINESS BUT ON COMFORT EVEN ON A LONG CRUISE. I CAN'T STRESS HOW BEAUTIFUL THIS BIKE IS AND THAT IT MAKES ME LOYAL TO IT(ITS LIKE HAVING A MODEL FOR A WIFE AND YOU CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING BETTER LOOKING TO LOOK AT) ITS UNADULTURATED FUN AND I AM MARRIED TOO AND MY WIFE LOVES THIS THING BETTER THEN MY OLD BIKE ESPECIALLY SINCE SHE SITS SO HIGH UP. DUDE YOU WOULD BE FLABBERGASTED WITH THIS BIKE AND EVEN MORE SATISFIED WHEN YOU GET IT AND ALL THE LOOKERS ARE STARING EVEN IF THEY OWN A DUC OR AGUSTA YOU CAN'T HELP BUT LOOK. ANYWAYS THE BIKE IS RATED AT MAKING 137 HORSES AT THE REAR WHEEL SOME MORE SOME LESS OUT THE FACTORY WITH THE 954 MAKING A MERE 132 ON AVERAGE. THE R1 IS RATED HIGHLY FOR A COMFORTABLE SEAT WHILE THE 954 LACKS BADLY IN THAT DEPARTMENT. MIGHT I SAY THAT THE EUROPEAN BIKE MAGS PICKED THE R1 FOR THE COMPARO CHOICE OVER THE 954 GSXR1000 AND 9R. EUROPE IS KNOWN FOR ITS FAST EVERYTHING AND THERE HAS TO BE A REASON WHY IT PICKED THE R1 IN THE TWO MAGS I SAW TODAY (ONE WAS SUPERBIKE MAG,THE OTHER I CAN'T REMEMBER) IT ALSO HAD A HIGHER TOP END THEN HERE IS THE STATES WITH 175 WHILE THE GSXR DID 178 AND THE 954 168 AND THE 9R AT 170. YOUR CHOICE BUT I RECCOMMEND THE R1.:beer ENJOY :rock AND RIDE SAFE.

· red1 is faster
31 Posts
before purchasing my 2002 r1 r/w/b i was looking at a 02 998 duc and a gsxr1k. actually
rode both and came very close to buying the duck, but decided the price of the duck was
not almost 2x the bike of the r1. after seeing r1 in person looks alone sold me on the bike
even before ever putting a foot over the seat. gsxr 1k is fast but has no style or looks
doing it. gsxr has been using basic styling graphics for nearly a decade. i'm not saying r1 is for
everyone but have not meet a person who has one that would trade it for something else. i've
owned many sportbikes and have always found some faults with my previous bikes but hard to find
one with r1 except adding steering damper (minor). if i was you buy the bike that puts a smile on your
face and makes you happy, f**k everyones opinion including mine. good luck with your purchase----------------
------------joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.