Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Army of one...R-1
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do half the people in here think frame sliders are the hottest thing around?
Does half the people in here go around throwing their bikes on the ground or something?
. I Roadrace, Dragrace, streetride and Have never had a set. Never needed a set. I have crashed roadracing about five times thru the years and only broke some levers and a lower.

Just curious :ugh

·
R1 = poontang
668 Posts
If your god's gift to racing then you should know the answer to your question. Frame sliders do exactly that save other parts from getting trashed should you happen to get in a accident.

One time I hit some gravel going about 5 in a parking lot and dropped it on the side only thing that hit was my slider. That right there saved me money.

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,706 Posts
Rob Clay said:
Why do half the people in here think frame sliders are the hottest thing around?
Does half the people in here go around throwing their bikes on the ground or something?
. I Roadrace, Dragrace, streetride and Have never had a set. Never needed a set. I have crashed roadracing about five times thru the years and only broke some levers and a lower.

Just curious :ugh
:2bitchsla

Added protection......I along with many others (I'm willing to bet) can honestly vouch for sliders......I'd rather have them and help protect the frame from as much damage as possible than not have them. When I highsided, the frame sliders protected the frame from damage. If I wouldn't have had them, the frame would have been rashed/damaged for sure.

·
Army of one...R-1
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not Gods gift, Guess I just dont worry, drop it or crash that much.
peace. Guess Im to old!

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,706 Posts
Rob Clay said:
Not Gods gift, Guess I just dont worry, drop it or crash that much.
peace. Guess Im to old!
On a 93 ZX-7 I guess not

:thumbup

·
You think you can keep up?!
650 Posts
Its simple...

an upper... $225
a mid... $200.
a lower... $135
a tank, $500

Saving $1000 because you bought $50 sliders... Priceless

·
Army of one...R-1
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Enough said
I see you keep your head, without getting bent out of shape(so to speak) Maybe I worded my sentence in the prior post too strongly I apologize if I offended anybody. Maybe I can interject some humor Hmmm picture wont post. Anyway All my best to you all. Im 46 years old, Yall can bust on me If you want I just laugh. Thats what I was hoping to get :D

·
You think you can keep up?!
650 Posts
Its all cool. You gotta watch out for some of those older guys... Some of them have lots of experience that you can learn from. :fact

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
Rob Clay said:
Thanks, Enough said
I see you keep your head, without getting bent out of shape(so to speak) Maybe I worded my sentence in the prior post too strongly I apologize if I offended anybody. Maybe I can interject some humor Hmmm picture wont post. Anyway All my best to you all. Im 46 years old, Yall can bust on me If you want I just laugh. Thats what I was hoping to get :D
Don't worry about it! I'm 50 and raced almost 10 yrs. and dragg'in knees at trackdays without them still! I admit they do add a higher degree of protection, but they're not the save-all devise! I am thinking I might put some on the '04 though! lol

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Rob Clay said:
Thanks, Enough said
Hey Rob,
I didn't know you were a douche bag :confused:....and stop teasing the lads. Some of 'em bite rather quickly. And don't tell 'em my real name either or I'll have to kill you, even if you have a skanky blue :bow:bow 04R1 :bow :bow
Cheers Rob, ya funny bugger, Ga.....ermmm...Warp.

·
Army of one...R-1
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warp My Man!!
It"s always nice to have someone in the shadows watching your back Hehee
Ya as you can see I have been up since 3:30 this morning and bored waiting to ride!! . Thought I would check out the action around the web!

Douche bag oww Dont tell our freinds!! LOL and you just thought I was a post whore and Yamaha Whore BAAHAHAHAHA

See you soon

P.S. G man Your going to have a problem holding the front down
Think Im going to put a pillow on the tank and tree cause I got to be all up in the windscreen HAAA

·
Insanity Please
2,200 Posts
Rob,
I'm 6'4" and very young 43/83kilos, so I dare say I'll be acting like a second coat of paint when doing some speed runs.
The Silver :bow:bow04R1's :bow:bow here, have a lot of black in the brochure, compared to the US model.
Let you know the paint style, when I see it for sure.
Cheers G..Warp

·
Army of one...R-1
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RTSR6 Nice to see you live on the space coast maybe one day we can hook up. My surfing nephew lives in titusville. Like to see your Mustang, thats got to be tripping!

Lol I was thinking about sliders for the 2004 also Jury is still out

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
Rob, I put frame sliders on my '03 for my first mod. In fact, I bought them at the dealer when I picked up my bike. Really, the
only reason I wanted them is for low speed drops or those tip
overs in the garage. Hell, I don't think sliders are going to help all
that much at high speed anyway. It's a good thing I did get them
because I've had my bike down 2 times since I put them on. The
first time at Daytona last year when unloading my bike off the
trailer in the rain and a few months ago on a low side from some
sand in the road. The sliders did their job quite well and have
saved me money in the long run.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
748 Posts
Don't waste ya'lls $$$ on the Yamaha sliders . They are worthless . I laughed when I went to pick up my '04 and saw these little things on the bike that don't even portrude past the plastic . The clutch housing is still the first thing that's gonna drag , then the plastic . then the frame sliders . I for one want a little protection for the plastic and not just the frame . At least they only charged me $40 for them but hey , ther're coming off !!

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
YZFR1Freak said:
Its all cool. You gotta watch out for some of those older guys... Some of them have lots of experience that you can learn from. :fact
Awe geez . . . here we go with with that "older guy" stuff :lol

I'm 52 and don't do to bad, guess its because of all the "Younger Guys" & "Older Guys" I've learned from :yesnod

and because I try to keep an open mind :yesnod

hey gotta run, gotta start the heat-pad up & get out the linament, and grease the wheels on my walker :lol

·
Camshaft
281 Posts
:confused: Last summer I was driving down 24A turning left on to Wrigleys corners. I guess a car dumped its oil pan, left a oil slick almost thirty feet long. I thought it was just water. Needless to say, the moment I touched it the bike went down. Real Fast! Only damage was to my frame sliders, bar end and lever. Frame sliders were only $99. Lever $20, and bar end $15. Would have been at least $1000 had it not been for the sliders. I didn't think I would put it down, you never think you will, but I did! I think you think you are too cool. That is very funny. Your a idiot if you think your too good to ever put your bike down, and a even bigger idiot if you think sliders are a waste of money.:no

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Skeeter said:
Rob, I put frame sliders on my '03 for my first mod. In fact, I bought them at the dealer when I picked up my bike. Really, the
only reason I wanted them is for low speed drops or those tip
overs in the garage. Hell, I don't think sliders are going to help all
that much at high speed anyway. It's a good thing I did get them
because I've had my bike down 2 times since I put them on. The
first time at Daytona last year when unloading my bike off the
trailer in the rain and a few months ago on a low side from some
sand in the road. The sliders did their job quite well and have
saved me money in the long run.
Ditto :yesnod

1 word - Protection (for the inevitable) :thumbup

Attachments

·
You will die alone
1,063 Posts
yeah I thought they were lame when I first saw them years ago...now I love them. They DO help on high speed crashes...I know 1st hand...110mph wheelie on a bridge, went down on CONCRETE , which is MUCH worse than asphalt...grounded the sliders down to nubs, and saved ALL the plastic. Highly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts