Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the stock tires my 16 R1 came with but they seem like a little overkill for the street. I don't do track days anymore so I don't need anything that grippy. I would like something great for sport street riding that lasts longer but still grips really well on the street. What do you guys recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm not worried about price just good grip n better mileage. U answered that for me. I appreciate it. I don't need tires yet but with only 800 miles on my rs10s they don't look like I'll even get 2k out of them and I'm not very aggressive anymore!!!

·
'16 60th Anniversary "Pikachu"
914 Posts
I use to ride Dunlop Q3's and they were great with grip and mileage wear. Things have changed with my riding habits and I ended up with more grip and not caring about mileage now so I've been burning Pirelli Supercorsa SP's lately :crash

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Getting around 6.5k miles out of them. But im easy on tires, dont charge into corners and use 40psi.
Mine look like they will do about 4,000 miles. Not much more than Q3's, but I definitely prefer the M7RR for street riding.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

·
The Doctor's Assistant
694 Posts
Used to use pp3 but recently switched to metzeler m7rr. Metzelers grip better last as long and have softer carcas. Very nice tire for street imo
Really? Better edge grip than the Pilot Power 3s?

I got 2500 miles out of the RS10s. Then I went with the Pirelli Supercorsa SPs.
....and? Don't stop there, how do they compare? I'm finishing up with my RS10s and looking for all the feedback I can get.

·
Memento Mori
52 Posts
Pilot power three, but probably going to go with pilot road 4 this coming season. The rs10 stock seemed vague. Pp3 got slightly better but i hate the milage sacrifice on "Racey" tires. Although for a track day I do see the need.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
The Doctor's Assistant
694 Posts
The Q3 and M7RR both have better edge grip than the PP3.

I've tried most of the street sports tyres and would pick the M7RR every time.

Thanks for the feedback, I loved the PP3 edge grip and felt it was much better than the S20s, somehow I think it's better than the RS10s as well, probably because of the silica enriched rubber but that was on a different bike so maybe the setup played a role in what I felt.

Pilot power three, but probably going to go with pilot road 4 this coming season. The rs10 stock seemed vague. Pp3 got slightly better but i hate the milage sacrifice on "Racey" tires. Although for a track day I do see the need.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Never sacrifice grip for mileage if you know you will need the grip at some point. Don't forget the stock RS10s are nothing like the aftermarket ones, they're quite different because of OEM imposed specs.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I loved the PP3 edge grip and felt it was much better than the S20s, somehow I think it's better than the RS10s as well, probably because of the silica enriched rubber but that was on a different bike so maybe the setup played a role in what I felt.

Never sacrifice grip for mileage if you know you will need the grip at some point. Don't forget the stock RS10s are nothing like the aftermarket ones, they're quite different because of OEM imposed specs.
My limited experience of touring tyres has been that they don't like too many heat cycles. I still remember a ride on a hot day when the rear slipped on nearly every corner exit! It still had about 3 mm of tread.

It's best to match your tyres to how you ride. Modern touring tyres are amazing, but probably not the best choice for sports riding.

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
For the type of tire you are looking for (More wear conscious vs. grip conscious)I'd go with s21 Evo, Pilot Power Three, Rosso III (or II), M7RR Sportec (not racetec). I wouldn't go any less sticky than those tires for a super bike. Some people swear by sport touring tires on a super bike. I am not one of them.

·
2016 60th
51 Posts
I used touring tires on my 08 R1.... Bad choice when the time came to it.

My 60th is sitting at 1400 miles and the RS10 need to go. Looking at the SC2 tires.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts