Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
Drizai. He was totally out of control when in the wheelie. Maybe you should learn some physics and riding technique before you start learning how to wheelie. I meen, if you couldn't se that. It was obvious. No steering damper in the world could've helped.:hellobye Go easy.

· I said goodbye to my R1
344 Posts
The way i see it is when he started the wheelie, he was nearer to the broken white lines. Than look closely, the bike started shifting towards the left shoulder. My theory is, in that split second when he tried to correct the situation by manuevering the bike back to the right, the damn thing got shaky. In that same second, panic kicks in. When that happens, 9 out of 10 it's all over.

· My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
DriZay said:
was it wind...too hard of a landing for the speed...handlebars crooked...
I've been trying to disect this vid because I don't want it to happen to me. I can't say, with certainty, exactly what caused it so I can't offer a remedy.

I can offer a couple of observations, though.

I've never noticed me bike doing the "shimmy" during:
1. power wheelies
2. sit-down wheelies
3. stand-ups when both my feet are on the pegs

It seems to happen only when at or very near the balance point, but, even at , near, or beyond the balance point, it has only happened to me doing "knee on the seat" wheelies.

Apparently, then, balance is a major contributing factor.

One way I've found to reduce the phenomena during "knee on the seat" wheelies is to relax my upper body. It seems that if my grip & upper body is tense, it increases the effect (similar to tankslappers, in that when you tense up & grip the bars very tightly, you contribute to the intensity of the slapper), but if I'm "loose", my body tends to "absorb" & diminish the shimmy.

Another thing I do when I first detect the shimmy is to let the front down. I don't always go all the way down because sometimes the shimmy stops when the front wheel is a few feet off the ground. When the shimmy stops before the wheel hits the ground, I gas it & bring it back up. I may have to yoyo like this 2 or 3 times, but usually once does the trick.

A friend of mine (who has done a 24-1/2 mile wheelie) suggests just riding the wheelie out & the shimmy will dissipate on its own. Well, that doesn't always work. One time I was doing a "knee on the seat" wheelie & the shimmy began. I was riding it out when I hit big dip in the road. The instant I hit the dip, the shimmy got so severe I started preparing myself to slide down the highway. You know, when get to the point where you are mentally prepared to wreck, you usually do & I was at that point. But, the strangest thing happened. I let off the gas so the front end would come down, but when the front started coming down, I gave it the gas so that the front end would not "slam" down & make things worse.

Well, due to luck, technique, or my guardian angel (I'm leaning towards guardian angel) the shimmy dissipated and the front end landed softly. After that, I took a few deep breaths, laughed (because I was fine), then gave thanks to God:thumbup

· I am One with The One......
747 Posts
WHOA!!!!:eek:

Just now seeing this. I'm a newbie and haven't done a wheelie yet...but was.....well up until now....thinking about doing it when I get another bike....

But I'm not sure now....:cryin

From what I've read...no one truely know what happened here. I'm leaning towards what nimmo said...I think he paniced and lost it...but not sure...
:no :(

· Ride safe boys.
1,845 Posts
Maxxym said:
I saw this one before...

I think he just lost his balance or something....
Boy, is that like your expert opinion???? :lol :lol

· My R1 loves me!
71 Posts
shadow5250 said:
WHOA!!!!:eek:

Just now seeing this. I'm a newbie and haven't done a wheelie yet...but was.....well up until now....thinking about doing it when I get another bike....

But I'm not sure now....:cryin

From what I've read...no one truely know what happened here. I'm leaning towards what nimmo said...I think he paniced and lost it...but not sure...
:no :(
Dude, sorry to hear about your bike getting stolen. I've been through the same thing. Had my first R1 for 6 months-stolen while I was gone for the weekend. Got another R1 and 6 months later the same bastards tried to take this one-while I was home. Heard the bike alarm going off, ran down to see what was up, 3 guys were pulling my bike out. Started yelling to my wife upstairs to call the cops, they rushed me, beat the shit out of me, and took off. (without bike thank God) I suggest your next bike being locked down tighter than shit, always! I bought an ABUS chain and lock $250 and an ABUS disk lock $90. Well worth the $. The creeps had my crappy ass Kryptontie N.Y. chain and lock and disklock off in seconds. Round key tumblers aren't unpickable anymore! I take my bike to work but keep it right outside the door. If your bike is going to be out of your sight, chain it to something. Good luck with your next one!

· I feel the need...
18 Posts
This is my take on what happened

My heart goes out to the rider in this one. That was one terrible wreck. This is my take on what happened:

As many of you may have noticed when ridding a wheelie, the closer that you get to the balance point the more the bike will have a tendency to "fall" one way or the other. Normally, just like when you are riding on two wheels, you turn a little into the direction that you are falling and the problem is corrected. The unfortunate soul in this clip made no attempt to change his trajectory to compensate for his bikes wobble. While the angular momentum of his back wheel kept him up for a short time, it also forced him into a wobble that quickly became so violent that made a recovery impossible. When the front tire came down, the bike was turned about 30 degrees left of the direction in which the bike had its momentum. Thus, creating the quasi endo and all of us to question the wisdom of ever doing a wheelie again.... for about 10 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.