Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
go go juice gonna make me win
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get some full synthetic for my next oil change. just wondering which weight is best for warm weather climates(south florida). my choices are 10w40 or 5w40. i'm thinking 5w40 might be too light, but thought i'd ask the experts.

·
go go juice gonna make me win
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have almost 1100 now, i was going to do it around 1500 or so. to early?

·
Registered
120 Posts
does anyone use 20w50 oil? I ran it in one of my older bikes and seemed to shift smoother and run alittle better when it was hot as hell out side.

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
does anyone use 20w50 oil? I ran it in one of my older bikes and seemed to shift smoother and run alittle better when it was hot as hell out side.
That is some pretty thick stuff. I personally would not use it unless racing in high temps. Older machines had bigger tolerances.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It about to start gettin hot and humid here in nc and when I get stuck in my back and forth to work triffic the bike stay above 200oF

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
It about to start gettin hot and humid here in nc and when I get stuck in my back and forth to work triffic the bike stay above 200oF
Yes, it is. I do realize that :sing:

I still would not go into the 20W-50 range. That's just me. And I do take the bike to the track.

·
Registered
120 Posts
sounds good. I didn't even realize you were in NC also.

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
sounds good. I didn't even realize you were in NC also.
It's all good. :lol

Should be fine with a quality 10W 40. Even 15W 40. But 20W 50 is thick stuff for a tight tolerance motor. More important is frequent changes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was thumbing through my owners manuel earlier for the heck of it and it said you can use 20w40. Ever tried it at all

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
The engine will not be harmed even if you were to fill it with synthetic the first day you had the bike.

It will simply take a little longer than normal to break it in.

The rings typically seat themselves within the first couple of hours of an engines life. The first handfull of miles can be a deciding factor in overall performance of an engine. If you don't get the rings to seat within this small window, you may not get a perfect seal resulting in slightly lower compression and power.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
It's all good. :lol

Should be fine with a quality 10W 40. Even 15W 40. But 20W 50 is thick stuff for a tight tolerance motor. More important is frequent changes.
Do u mean high reving bike?

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
Do u mean high reving bike?
Tolerences between the surfaces inside the motor. Motors are being built with much closer specifications than, say, ten years ago.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Ducati's, Ferrari's, MB's, BMW's are all delivered and spec'd with Syn of the factory, fwiw.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
IF anyone has noticed, Yamalube has stopped offering 10w30 & 20w40.

Now, they offer 10w40 & 20w50.

I have a 2007 R1, purchased new in December 2006. It now has >18,000 miles.

I've noticed that it has a smoother and more stable idle with 20w50, and shifts better. However, it seems to me that it revs a little quicker and is slightly more responsive with the 10w40.

Nevertheless, it gets miserably hot here in Memphis in the summer, and, I confess, I ride the bike very hard.

So, I use 20w50 starting around this time of year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have almost 1100 now, i was going to do it around 1500 or so. to early?
I have nearly 7k track miles on my track r1 and it has had R4 superbike oil since about 1mile on the bike and it makes right at 185whp with no signs of giving up. Go synthetic now its good stuff, and the thinner R4 makes about 3 more whp.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts