Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Top Gun
2,617 Posts
I heard its supposed to be clicking fast .. i have a problem on my bike now and i was thinkin its the cam tensioner but they said it wasnt or it shouldnt be .. .. if your cam tensioner is bad.. what kinda sound is it making??? and when?

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yap, the motor I put back together has this sound now that sounds like something is clicking or rubbing from something rotating such as a chain it is constant doesnt get louder. It is loudest at start up and seems to quiet some after warming up, sometimes. And it is right around the tensioner. It doesnt sound like a rattle to me though. I will jsut replace it and see what happens.

· GO KINGS GO
82 Posts
that's how mine sounds...I have the loud clicking noise. I thought it was the valve. The sound isn't there during idle. It is loud from about 3K - 4K. Once it reaches the 4K the sound goes away.

Any ideas?:dunno

I did purchase an ape manual tensioner (is that a word?)

it comes soon. Hope that's it. Other than that...it runs awesome :rock

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is there at all times. I am changing it, I hate noises that shoudnt be there. Plus it sounds like crap and makes my bike sound llike junk i think.

Are those manual tensioners worth the time? I cant stand that sound from the auto.

· Registered
15,446 Posts
kingzfan said:
that's how mine sounds...I have the loud clicking noise. I thought it was the valve. The sound isn't there during idle. It is loud from about 3K - 4K. Once it reaches the 4K the sound goes away.

Any ideas?:dunno

I did purchase an ape manual tensioner (is that a word?)

it comes soon. Hope that's it. Other than that...it runs awesome :rock
I seriously doubt its the tensioner;

The rattling of the cam chain is enhanced by a bad synch of the carbs/throttle bodies (very bad) or at low rpms;it got to be slow in order to let the chain slap around.

At 4k,its most probably an out-of-spec valve shim or just the infamous tick.(although my tick comes only when my oil is old,very hot and at highway cruising speeds around 5-6k rpms)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.