Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Professional retired guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a line on R1, serial #122

It is a 98 (of course) Red and White, and bone stock down to the reflectors and caution stickers on the tank and windscreen. It's in excellent condition.

First of all considering that this is probably the rarest R1 out there. would you....

(A) Mod the crap out of it like Greg's EMA-USA Project Bike.

(B) Leave it as is and keep it as a collector's piece.

This is Greg's bike for those of you poor sod's who have not seen it...

Attachments

·
I bleed Blue!
202 Posts
Mod the crap out of it! Are you kidding me?! A stock R1 isn't worth anything for at least another 40 years! You might as well play and have fun while you can.

And use a heat gun to take those nasty stickers off! :finger

·
Elmo Likes Motorcycles
163 Posts
excuse my ignorance..but what's so special about that 98 r1? is it just like any other? I'm just not catching what #122 means..
thanks

·
glory last forever
203 Posts
i think #122 means its the 122nd in his area????

Mine is #000065 also a 98R1

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,718 Posts
If you mod it save the stock parts.....then put back when your done having fun with it. Sell it or store it stock or 99% stock for best value.

98 in red is an awesome color scheme

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
if its mint condition, Id either store it or take it to one of the collector auto people and see if they would be interested in it. The more people who wreck their bikes, the rarer that bike becomes and just may be worth something in the future

if its got some wear and tear, then by all means, mod the hell outta it... but like someone said, keep the stock parts and replace later if you plan to sell

not counting the 01 red/black scheme, Id say that the 98 red/white color combo is the best Yamaha has put on the R1

·
I need more money.
3,023 Posts
Put it in a crate and forget about it for like 10 years from now.
Then its gonna be smoething.
Unless its your only bike and you want to ride it.

·
Nipping at the big dogs tail
821 Posts
If that is a picture of the bike, then where do you get that the bike is stock. It has an aftermarket exhaust on it. Has it been re-jetted too? Do you have all the stock parts? If it is stock, I'd just keep it that way.

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
nee.dragger said:
If that is a picture of the bike, then where do you get that the bike is stock. It has an aftermarket exhaust on it. Has it been re-jetted too? Do you have all the stock parts? If it is stock, I'd just keep it that way.
:2bitchsla

Read it again. He says it's a pic of someone else's bike that has been modded.

·
Professional retired guy
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some interesting responses,

It won't be my only bike, not even my only R1, which is why I am seriously considering leaving it stock.

The 98 R1 was only made in limited numbers, many of these were raced and wrecked, or passed away on the streets. Most were made in blue. Hence the rarity of the red/white 98.

·
Full Time Post Whore
9,058 Posts
That bike has more mods on it that you could fit in your signature line....

I read about this bike..it has all top notch components on it. It also has high milage. I think it was like in 30k miles range....if I remember correctly

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you don't need to, don't ride it and keep it stock. Otherwise, like others have said, mod it and keep all the stock bits.

How much mileage?

·
MOTORCYCLE NAZI
2,448 Posts
at first when I read this I was thinking.. hell yeah.. mod that thing till your wallet crys or the motor dies..

but then I kept reading the other post's and if you have a different bike that you can go have some fun on, than keep it stock. It's gonna be a great collectors piece but like everyone else said on here, it's not going to happen overnight. I have a buddy that has a 93 900rr and he feels the same way about that machine. It's true that there is a 92 but not in the US to my knowledge. At any rate.. he's attached to the thing. It was afterall the one that started this liter bike chase

1 - 20 of 27 Posts