Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Illicit Liquid, LLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a used R1.
I've been riding my entire life. Ive had multiple bikes and i need a liter in my life again.
What year model would you guys suggest?
I'm leaning towards nothing older than the 2012.
But im open to suggestions if you guys know stuff that i dont.
Let me know what everybody thinks. I'm really looking for a ton of feedback here.

Thanks
Jared

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,404 Posts
2001 R1 best year in blue :fact

·
Illicit Liquid, LLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the 04 - 06 body. By far the sleekest.
I was just thinking that some of the electronics that come standard on later models is probably preferred.

·
Nevermore
1,043 Posts
I think it would be easier to answer if we knew your budget. How much are you looking to spend.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,350 Posts
Even though I could afford a newer example I just cant shake my love for the '02/'03 models. :wink2:

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
well, some questions like, Why no older than 2012? and what are you looking for out of the bike?

youve basically limited yourself to two models with quite different characteristics with your year limitation.

·
Illicit Liquid, LLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, some questions like, Why no older than 2012? and what are you looking for out of the bike?

youve basically limited yourself to two models with quite different characteristics with your year limitation.

I was thinking 2012 and newer because of the electric rider aids that they come with and the CP4 motor.
I raced MX my whole life along with my little brother so were VERY competitive when were both on two wheels.
He just purchased a S1000RR which has every ****in thing you can imagine including a 200+ HP motor.
While i'm still better on the street than him, his bike def gives him an edge with everything it come with.
My local dealership has one R1M left and i was really contemplating picking it up but that's just enough that i would have to make payments.
I'd really like to just drop cash. I have had an 03 R1 but it didnt have the crossplane crank. So the 14BE almost looks perfect for the price.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,350 Posts
I was thinking 2012 and newer because of the electric rider aids that they come with and the CP4 motor.
I raced MX my whole life along with my little brother so were VERY competitive when were both on two wheels.
He just purchased a S1000RR which has every ****in thing you can imagine including a 200+ HP motor.
While i'm still better on the street than him, his bike def gives him an edge with everything it come with.
My local dealership has one R1M left and i was really contemplating picking it up but that's just enough that i would have to make payments.
I'd really like to just drop cash. I have had an 03 R1 but it didnt have the crossplane crank. So the 14BE almost looks perfect for the price.
I have a '16 S1000RR. They are sweet bikes. Probably another reason I dont have a newer R1... :laugh:

·
Illicit Liquid, LLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a '16 S1000RR. They are sweet bikes. Probably another reason I dont have a newer R1... :laugh:
They're incredible. They are such confidence inspiring machines. But i'm a jap bike guy.
I've ridden a couple Ducati's and even an RC8 but i just can't walk away from the tried and true OG jap bikes.
I might just say **** it and grab the M. I know that i def wont be disappointed.

·
Nevermore
1,043 Posts
I've seen leftover 2018's advertised for just under 14k plus TTT.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,749 Posts
What all parts are needed for the conversion?
2012-14 parts required

Left Fork
Wheel speed sensor
Wheel speed sensor ring
Wheel speed sensor retaining clip and bolt
TC handle bar control
ECU
Dash

2012-14 recommended parts
Front wheel (it is actually different)
Rear Shock (it is sprung and valved differently to assist the TC)

·
Illicit Liquid, LLC
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so now i'm at a crossroads.
Do i pick up the 2013 with 20K miles on it for $7K and dump about $10K into it or do i just go for the 2018 R1M that is in pristine condition with very respectable upgrades already installed for about $20kish?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts