Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My R1 spanks my naughty R6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this board:cool:. I have been kinda in the market for a R1 for a good deal and I might have found myself one. I still love my R6 and will probably will keep both at least till summer if I get the R1.

Ok here's the details on the bike. It has 3300 miles and was wrecked on the right mainley. It looks like it will need the right upper and lower, headlight, front section, front fender, tail section and probably some other lil misc stuff.

The big problems I have are the tail subframe is over to the left about 4 inches:eek: and it has a salvage title. It is going at a local salvage auction this tuesday. I told my buddie to go up to $3000 on it, sound good or should I go higher? I figure I will have to spend about $1500 in used parts and about $500 on getting the title cleaned up. I am still unsure on how to bend the tail back, or if I should try to find a new frame. I will try to figure how to post a couple pics.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here's a pic of the other side to go along with that one since I can't figure out how to post them both in the same post. You can kind of see the tail section is over in this one, that must be why they totaled it.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Hi James. Welcome to the forum. :)
First off, you can only post one attachment at a time. so you were right in doing 2 posts. :) Not only that, but posting the photo and all the details about the bike is going to be a HUGE help when some of these members look at it. Theres a thread here that I'll post right after this one so you can see someone was asking a very similar question. Only without the photos. :) He got some really good feedback on it.
I don't like seeing an R1 looking like that. :(
I'm glad you want to make it look sweet again! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
james, im not sure if u should buy this bike. i really dont think u have enough expirence. you couldnt handle all the power this bike has. you would be better off flying a helicopter. hahaha later dawg

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Well if the subframe is bent that is why they totaled it cause Yamaha Just got smart and went to bolt on subframes,you can either get a new frame or send it off to Computrack or another frame place but I doubt you can get it straight yourself AND
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part I don't like is the "Salvage title" part it will always have a "rebuilt" title unless I find a new frame with a clean title :) I don't really need another bike I would just like to go with a 01 instead of a 99 and besides I have been a lil rough on my R6 showing up my buddie with an R1 :p I do like ridding the R1 much better (less work, not as much shifting required) but I think I might miss my R6 as well 15,500 redline is so fun and I feel I can push it harder than the R1 (probally just because I don't get to ride the R1 all that often). I looked the bike over pretty well and it looks to be ok except for the tail.

I am not really affraid of a wrecked bike, after all I wrecked my poor lil R6 when it was almost brand new not too bad a fall at like 10-15 mph and I wiped out the whole right side plastics:( but state fraud hooked me up and I made like $1200 from money I saved getting the parts off E-bay and doing the work myself.

I have a friend that owns a bike shop that hopefully can straighten the tail for me and go over the whole bike. If not I guess I could try to find a whole frame possibally one with a clean title and then the bike was never wrecked :) and I would save the $500 for cleanig up the current title.

Who knows if I will even get it for that (what would the highest you all would bid for it?) but I don't really want to pay more than $3000 for it I figure I could sell the good parts off it and get my $$$ back if something dosen't look good about it. It may bring way more than that but I doubt it. There are a couple more wrecked R1's WAY worse that are coming up soon. I could probally find a couple pics of them if any one wants to see.

Thanks for the help,
James

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
akrapovic r6nr1:

I shouldn't have sent you the link to this fourm. :zxflipoff How come I can beat you on your R1 with my R6? And we know it's not that my R6 is not a "rare" really fast one since I can beat you with your R1 when we trade bikes and you ride my R6 :confused:

Anyway for those who are wondering (akrapovic r6nr1) is my friend Andy who has both a wrecked R6 and a nice R1 (due to my help of working over the ins company he ended up keeping the R6 with a clean title).

Later,
James

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
FastYZFR6: I bet you're fast on the R6. But if there's a talented R1 owner and you two compete.. the R1 will of course wip your butt :D

Btw, you'll wip my butt.. I suck at road racing. hehe

About the price of that wrecked bike.. 3000 is a lot.

I'd say fixing up that bike will cost around 4000 dollars.

And you need to make sure there are no cracks in the subframe.

Anyhow, welcome (but tone down the hard words .. even though you're mate with another member. There are others who dislike ugly discussions. I'm sure you understand and it's no biggie reallly :p)

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
R1 RESURRECTION

Its great that you know where the damage is, but the thing to ask is was the bike wiped before this accident?

I read an article in SPORTRIDER magazine and as far as cost is concerned, if you go with all Yamaha, its gonna hurt. I can post the prices if you so desire. But if you could leave me a list of the exact parts which need replacement, we can arrive at a more accurate estimate of anticipated costs.

If you can avoid it completely, dont buy wiped. Find somebody with a good used R1....get it checked out by a licenced tech, and you'll be fine. Wiped bikes seem to cause more heartache than your ex-girlfriend.

Those are just my thoughts, I could be wrong

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apoligize if I affended anyone with my "harsh" tone. I am REALLY good friends with my buddie Andy so I thought I would give him some crap + I wanted to try out this:zxflipoff :) I am a member of a 3000 gt page that uses the same type of board but they don't have all the cool lil icons that you guys have:cool:

I am not all that good of a rider at all you would probally show me up at a the twisties. I have my lil R6 figured out on the straight line runs though:D That's why I had to give him some crap. Like I said I love my R6 but Andy was so nice to let me borrow his R1 for a couple days and I fell in love and now I want one if I can get a good deal.

Like I said I hang out at a local bike shop and he is a certified rebuilder and fixes wrecked bikes all the time. I have a good idea of what to look for. I figure $3000 is the max I will go who knows mabey I will get it for $1500 (ya right) The main reason I posted here was to get opinnions on what I should go up to on it. The way the bike is I could hop on it and ride it home as is if it wern't for the deal with the salvage title and the consiquiences of getting caught:eek: So you guys think I should cap off my bidding at $2000, $2500???:confused:

O with the deal above where I said "I helped my buddie work over the INS company" all he did was not take their first offer of like $5600 and they keep the bike. Since I know how they work (have a couple friends who work for ins companys) and they want to close the claim as soon as possible. I just told him to not settle for any offer and tell them what he wanted and they both came to a agreement nothing illeagle or wrong there.

Once again I am sorry for just joining this board and coming off to be kinda of a dick in my first few posts. I just figured you were all a bunch of roudey biker guys (and gals) :) I will tone down my wording a lil I just didn't want to come off being a pussy or something. Thanks for not being affraid to let me know and kicking my but back inline:butt (got to love all the cool icons) :) Even if I don't get that R1 I will still be a member of your board (if you will all have me)

·
Registered
88 Posts
excellent tip throttle control "A 2X4 and a sledge hammer... " heres how i got rid of those gay lookin reflectors.........real men with real tools
:machinegu :zxflipoff ;)

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
throttle-cntrl said:
The tail most likely could be repaired. You need only 2 tools. A 2X4 and a sledge hammer...

It sounds brutal, but that aluminum will bend fairly easily.
Actually what I was thinking of trying is me and a friend grab the tail and pull it back over. If that dosn't work I was also thinking about taking off all the plastics and take some old couch cushions and lay on the floor of the garage lay the bike on the side and lift/support it by the tail section by a nylon tow strap or something as not to scuff the frame pieces of the tailsection. Then just apply some weight to the bike and hopefully that will move it back. If not the guy at the bike shop can defintally take care of it for me.

I am sure it will be a little weaker than new but then they can suuport the weight of fat people So if I get a "No Fat Chicks" sticker I will be all good :) I am not all that worried about the bent tail.

·
1,894 Posts
fastyzfr6

Dude dont even worry bout it you are welcome here, Swedie just doesnt want any real flaming going on here because that can turn off perspective members and then I would have to step in and :bash :machinegu :bash and nobody needs that;) :D j/k

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
I wouldn't try to straighten the frame, since it's welded. It'll never come out really straight unless you take it to a pro with the equipment. I see a lot of parts for big dollars: frame, exhaust, three plastic, signal, mirror, plus miscellaneous bits. Did the crash push/cut through the plastic to the motor? An impact on the end of the crank might mean problems later, and those covers are $$$(magnesium, I think). Unless you get a great deal, have some friends in the right(repair) places, and the patience to rip the bike down to check everything, I would pay for a used copy. It all comes down to trust - could you repair the bike at a reasonable cost to the point that you could trust it completely when riding it full out(crankin'n'bankin'). If you doubt the bike, you can't ride it and enjoy it fully.:)

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I didn't get that R1:mad: Anyone what to guess what it went for? I'll give you a hint (way too much).

Later,
James

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The guy that was going to buy it for me bid up to $3500 and when he walked away from it it was at $5200 and 2 guys were still bidding against eachother on it. WTF? it would have cost at least $2000 to put it back togather. Some people are dumb, but whoever bought it will probally fix it and sell it to some sucker for $9k+

O well I will just have to keep looking for a good deal. I am still happy with my lil R6 for now:)

Later,
James

·
1,894 Posts
What a dumbass...you were smart to walk away. There are always deals out there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts