Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Birdslayer
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have two computers in the house, one has a motorola surfboard through roadrunner the other nothing.

What is a good wireless router to hook up the other computer to it??

Is Linkseys B or G any good like at Best Buy?

which is better?? thanx bros, I already did a search no info on forum. :bow

·
Do I really need a title
1,107 Posts
I have a linksys and love it

·
Thriller
3,610 Posts
I have D-link, it's wireless and it routes. For real though, it works great.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
If you go wireless, then I'd suggest the G over the B. More secure and a lot faster transfers from PC to PC.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Linksys is great, I use them at the office and at home. They are newely accuired divison of Cisco... Great stuff. At home I would go with the 802.11b -simply because it's much cheaper and you really don't need anything over 11mbs at home...
Part number for the linksys wireless is "befw11s4" just in case you ask..... you can pick one up for about 50-75 bucks...

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
The new Netgear is pretty kick ass. Wireless access point/router/ with fire wall. You can tweak it to your liking. It's a multiband as well (802.11 b/g).

·
PWN3R
1,396 Posts
no wireless router is a safe router :) i rather use old fashioned cat 5 cable for laptop :)

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
echo7 said:
no wireless router is a safe router :) i rather use old fashioned cat 5 cable for laptop :)
And their interconnectivity sucks.

If you go with a particular manufacturer...stick with them and buy no one else's stuff. Otherwise you'll have problems.

I'm partial to Linksys for the home. Now that Cisco owns them I'll be more partial but weary of their prices. Cisco always jacks up their prices for the same sh1t that you can get from others.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wolf-R1 said:
And their interconnectivity sucks.

If you go with a particular manufacturer...stick with them and buy no one else's stuff. Otherwise you'll have problems.

I'm partial to Linksys for the home. Now that Cisco owns them I'll be more partial but weary of their prices. Cisco always jacks up their prices for the same sh1t that you can get from others.
I've never had any problems connecting with any of the major brand of router or access point. I personally have a couple of dlink wireless cards and a laptop with built in wireless that will connect to any wireless signal within range from my experience.

802.11 standard is 802.11 standard. No one brand transmits a signal different than another.

You may get extra features buy using the same brand stuff with software. For instance, with my dlink equipment, I can choose not to broadcast my SSID, but still use the dlink client software to connect whereas the built-in windows wireless configuration won't see it. I would guess other manufacturers software may not see it either. This obviously, is by design.

·
Registered
37 Posts
D-Link 614+ router and DWL 650+ PCcard.
Works great.
G over B is preferable if you have to change files between computers, otherwise B is more than enough.
The + signal is for 22 mbps.

·
Birdslayer
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are the connections, do they kick off and on or anything like that while u r downloading, these things seem pricy!!!

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Btw, make sure you get one that actually does work with WPA security. Most of the G routers said it does supports WPA, however it doesn't mean it actually works. There are many review/test out there that will tell you if the WPA worked proprety for that model. Before you buy the model you like, make sure you read some review/test on it.

:)

·
a muffin walks into a bar...
998 Posts
A couple of words....

802.11G or 802.11B. The advantange, and only advantage G has over B is 54mbps versus 11mbps. They both operate at 2.4Ghz. The encryption available is dependent on the hardware and not the B or G standard. WEP or WPA? WPA is preferable, but both your router and Wireless Card have to support WPA. It makes no sense to get a WPA capable router if your Wireless card only supports WEP.

Routers are getting dirt cheap these days. I just picked up a DLink Wireless Router from Best Buy for $50 bucks that support Wireless G/B. (80.11G Routers are backwards compatible with 802.11B standard), NAT Firewall protection, as well as WPA security. How does it work? Like a champ with my IBM X22 laptop with build in Wireless 802.11b, but my R40 with the built in 802.11A/B is a being a crackwhore.

The difference between 802.11A and 802.11G/B is that A works on 5.4 Ghz. transfer rates at 54 mbps, has a reduced range (due to the higher frequency) and operates on an FCC controlled frequency range.

For the home, I'd say 802.11b is more than enough. Remember the time when Ethernet was 10baseT? 10 mbps? lightning fast?

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
Jeech said:
...but both your router and Wireless Card have to support WPA...
Yep, I forgot to mention that. ;)

Also, you have to install a patch from Microsoft, its available from Windows Update's stie.

Btw, how does your WPA working with your Linksys? Did you upgraded the firmware?

:)

·
a muffin walks into a bar...
998 Posts
To be honest I haven't tried setting up the WPA yet. Like I said my R40 is being a crackwhore I wanna get it connected first before I set up the security. More than likely I'll stick with WEP, because the X22 doesn't support WPA. Well I haven't checked for firware updates for the card in the X22 yet, so that could change.

It's actually a D-link router that I got.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...e=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat25300050001

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
About your client card, from what I read here, client adapters have not required firmware upgrades and became WPA-capable by just upgrading their drivers using the normal Windows driver upgrade process.

;)

·
we meat again
18,563 Posts
FlynRyn,

Btw, back to your original question, I think you should get the D-Link G, cause I think this is the only G router I've seen so far that let you upgrade to Extreme G(108Mbps) for free.

Here is a review of it, it's Editor's Choice too. CLICKY CLICKY!

Btw, make sure you get the Revision B & C only, cause according to DLink.com, the 108Mbps firmware upgrade is only available for B and C, not yet for Revision A.

;)

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
natimar said:
I've never had any problems connecting with any of the major brand of router or access point. I personally have a couple of dlink wireless cards and a laptop with built in wireless that will connect to any wireless signal within range from my experience.

802.11 standard is 802.11 standard. No one brand transmits a signal different than another.

You may get extra features buy using the same brand stuff with software. For instance, with my dlink equipment, I can choose not to broadcast my SSID, but still use the dlink client software to connect whereas the built-in windows wireless configuration won't see it. I would guess other manufacturers software may not see it either. This obviously, is by design.
It's not in signal integrity or transmission. It's in encryption/decryption. When you remove most layers of security you generate less and less of a problem. You seem to have found a working solution. Kudos to you. There are a great many more people out there that don't have the luck that you have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts