Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering after how much mileage on your motorcycle, should you get rid of it? I know cars average life span is about 100,000-150,000 miles but how about motorcycles?

·
They call me Smokey..
1,922 Posts
Never owned one long enough to know first hand but I've seen bikes with 40,000 miles that still ran good. My buddie beat the snot out of his 900RR for years and when he sold it with 36,000 miles on it, he said it still wasn't burning any oil. Now when I was behind him I did notice a slight puff now and then but the damn thing ran good. I don't plan on ever seeing that kind of milage out of a bike. If I get 30,000 out of my R1 I'd be happy..

On the other hand, if your racing your bike, I wouldn't expect to get much more than 10,000 miles before you need to do some internal work.

·
Premium Member
27,459 Posts
I'm at 41,000 miles and she's runnin' great! No major problems what-so-ever. :cool:

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Insurance company sayd 600 miles for an R1. :crash

Do a search on here, and you will find most people have quite a few miles....though you ask how long do you ride it until you get rid of it...mileage wise. I'd say until it dies...and that part is up to you.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
well lets see...mine currently has 20K+ on it and it's a 03...should easily get alot more miles out of it...no a single problem owned it since new

my friends ZX7R it was like a 93...he sold it with 55K miles on it and only routine maintance...

It's all about the maintance and how you take care of the bike.

·
WUZ-UP !
4,355 Posts
I've met a couple of guys that had over 100k on fz750's, I friend of mine has a fz750/1000 frankienstein, 1000 top end 750 bottom and trany with close to 100k but it's blown up now :fire

There was a '93 cbr 900 that had 220k, hit by a Buick,cracked frame, still running perfect......:dunno

·
Too Old For This!
271 Posts
A lot longer than many people believe. I've had two that I put over 45k on. No one wanted to buy them though. I would rather have a bike that has been ridden and well maintained. A bike that's 10 years old and has 15k miles is probably junk internally... rust never sleeps. I would love to try and max out the odometer but on an R1 my butt would die first.

·
Registered
776 Posts
i have about 25,000 on mine. melted the pistons once (my fault thanks to NOS), went scuba diving for about 30 minutes (my fault ... the road wasnt finished and ran into a lake at 140 ... long story dont ask) and it still runs great. my R1 is a champ.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
This is a slightly loaded question...

For a street bike, I would imagine you could get as many miles out of a bike as mechically possible, provided you took care of the bike, made repairs when needed, re-built the engine, suspension, brakes...etc...I would guess that as long as you have availability of parts, then the bike will continue to be used..

If you are talking a Race bike, especially one that is going to be competivie and you can win races on, I would say 1, 2 years at the very most. Most contengency money is only paid to the current and previous year production bikes , so you need to run up-to-date equipment...

600's have a racing lifespan of maybe 2 years at most, as a front runner...Sure you can run mid-pack on a 3-5 year old bike, but you won't be winning championships on them (at least not very easy)

I plan on making my 2004 R1 a mild-race bike tin 2006 after a full season in 2005 and maybe a street bike, my 2006 R6 is going to be my full-time race bike next year and probably the following year, and then I will upgrade again....

I may sell the R1 for a good chunk of change towards a backup 2006 R6, or possible a FZ1 or FZ6 to play around with on the streets, and have some :dollar to spare... :riding

·
Fly or ride today??
730 Posts
xx0505xx said:
I was just wondering after how much mileage on your motorcycle, should you get rid of it? I know cars average life span is about 100,000-150,000 miles but how about motorcycles?

Dont know if you have looked recently, but most cars make it way over the 150K mark anymore.I have owned several cars with over 250K on them. Proper maintence is the key, and as one other said, rust never sleeps. It is better to drive/ride them than to let them sit. Many bikes make it past the 30-40K mark and many on here have way more than that. Maintain it and it will last.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts