Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
member of the lunatic fringe
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing some more track days this month 2 @ Button Willow and 2 @ Willow springs but the average temp in Nov is usually in the 60's. What the coldest others will still run track days @ and have some confidence their tires will stick?

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
The coldest I've been on the track it started out in the high 40s and only warmed up to the mid 50s. That is pretty damn cold for a track day. It was very uncomfortable all day. Had a few track days with cold rain as well. I've run in the cold rain, but without standing water, with Pirelli Dragon slicks. :confused: This time of year, the weather at WS is very hit or miss in this regard. For example, last week it was sunny and 70 degrees with barely any wind. Last December we had really nice weather, also. Hopefully, Oct and Dec this year will hold out, but we run rain or shine.

·
12,213 Posts
I should mention that when the temps really dip down like that, I lower the cold tire pressure at least 2 psi front and rear, use a softer compound, take more time warming up the tires, and keep in mind that with the cold ambient temps, possible rain, possible overcast skies, etc, we are dealing with a cold track surface, and the tires won't get up to the usual temps, and ride accordingly. More conseravtive flicks, more conservative corner speeds and braking, more conservative lean angles. Still better than being in the office fighting with some stupid insurance company clerk, however!

·
12,213 Posts
FOrget to add that in the really cold temps, you may also want to back off a click or so on the compression and rebound damping front and rear.

·
12,213 Posts
ransomkj said:
I will be at VIR Nov. 8th. I will be running on M1's. Will the tire hold up in the low 50th's?
What do you mean will the tire "hold up"?

·
12,213 Posts
ransomkj said:
How will they stick compared to others.
They won't stick as well as race tires, but neither will stick as well as they would at wamer temps. Follow the precautions I outlined for cold weather track days. Do you own tire warmers?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I rode in freezing conditions at the CCS races at Road America this year. In fact it was snowing in the morning session of practice ! We went out and hit it like usual... I was hesitant at first, but when the first group of experts passed me on one knee I knew I could do it too... have confidence in your tires ! Hope you have tire warmers, or you will never get the tire up to temp... and expect A LOT of cold tear... you will destroy the tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.