Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me start off by saying I joined this forum to gain a little bit of knowledge / do a little bit of research for a machine I intend on purchasing in the near future.. all I see is people flaming each other for asking questions about starting off on a R1.. Now no disrespect to the more "experienced" riders but really what is the difference between having a sportbike with roughly a 1000 cc's and harley with 1300? I took a MSF Course in my state and my classmate had purchased a 1300 cc harley and never rode a day in his life!! now is it a difference in sportbike and cruiser or wats the problem.. cuz I don't hear people bashing others for buying a 1300 and their not in the sportbike scene..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
1300 cc cruiser = 55hp, 750lbs
1000 cc supersport = 155hp, 400lbs

These modern sportbikes demand more skill and attention than you could ever imagine until riding one. Even the fastest dudes learn something new every ride.
Most people recommend starting on a smaller bike, even a 600 has probably two to three times as much power to weight ratio as a 1300 cc vibrating couch with wheels (no offense, I love all bikes... they are just totally different)

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
The Harley weighs 700-800 lbs and has about 80ish horsepower.. and R1 weighs 425 ,give or take, and has 160ish horsepower. You can jump on a Harely and wack it in 1st gear. You do that on a R1 and your on your butt. Its comparing apples to oranges. Not to say that you cant start riding on a liter bike. Like with anything you have to respect it.

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
...I agree with Vroom...but also i don't know many people that suggest someone start on a 1300cc, 800lb HD either. :fact

·
Habs for life
1,273 Posts
Easy. Because people hwo buy a Harley, let alone a 1300, arent interested in speed, and also due to the lack of power(to weight ratio), shouldnt get into as much trouble. This is most important when you find yourself in trouble, use the throttle, with more likely dire consequences on a 180+ hp on, spokesbike. And the other reaoson which is probable to occur, is your interest in speed enjoyment in this type of bike is likely to entise less experienced riders (or no experience), to get in trouble more often, and unable to control getting out of trouble. It basically starts with WHO would buy a Harley 1300, and what do you think THEY think about riding interests, and WHO would buy an R1 ( or the like), and what you THEY think about riding interests

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
even a 600 has probably two to three times as much power to weight ratio as a 1300 cc vibrating couch with wheels
:lol :lol :lol

starting on a liter isn't a good idea period. yea, you can respect it and blah blah, but in close situations, that responsive throttle can put you on your butt quickly.

·
When's the next track day?
1,285 Posts
I have to agree with every statement above. You are comparing apples to oranges here both in bikes and the personality of the riders. Not saying that a sport bike rider wouldn't enjoy a riding a Harley, just that when he gets on a Harley he is in a totally different mindset from when he gets on his sport bike. I never owned a Harley myself, only sport bikes\sport cruisers, but I have ridden a few Harley and custom choppers. They are two totally different animals. If you whack open 1st on a Harley, you'll likely stall and tip over, where as you whack open 1st on a sport bike, your gonna flip it and get tons of rash on your ass. You can get into tons of trouble on any bike, but on a 1000 Sport bike you can get into trouble a lot faster and need to have the reflexes to recover that only comes with experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
?

i want to get an r1 my buddy is selling it and all i want is an r1 i have rode 1 b 4 n i thought i could handle it some people say its to much to start off on but then again ppl say start off on what u want its ther rider that controls the bike so i dont know what to do i have taken a msc passed easy i have been riding a 660r raptor quad with at performace n its simple to handle give me some advice pm me

·
Too Old For This!
271 Posts
We all crash at one point or another, get whatever you want.
Well that's BS. I've been riding since 69 and I have never crashed. If I thought crashing was inevitable I'd stop riding and flying.
To quote the Harley crowd regarding your question: "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!"
R1 will do 102 in first gear, H-D might make 100 downhill with a good run at it. I think that covers it...

·
CCS #16
189 Posts
Well that's BS. I've been riding since 69 and I have never crashed.
You are a very lucky man, and you are in the drastic minority... Most riders have crashed at one point or another, and most riders expect it. It's not a question of "if" but rather of "when."

I do sincerely hope that you never crash, though! It sucks. :)

·
Track Addict
1,398 Posts
a newb starting on a liter bike would be like a 16 year old getting an Enzo for a first car.
Start out smaller/less power and work your way up, you will enjoy the "liter" bike much more when you can ride like its ment to be ridden

·
Talk to me Goose
1,703 Posts
a newb starting on a liter bike would be like a 16 year old getting an Enzo for a first car.
Start out smaller/less power and work your way up, you will enjoy the "liter" bike much more when you can ride like its ment to be ridden

I'll have to agree with this statement. I know the best riders in my group all have grown up on dirt bikes and small cc motors. When one has a small bike, you learn how to extract the most power and use the most technique and that will in return improve one's skill.

Start off on a liter bike if you wish, just make a progression built in your head, so you don't end up messed up.

·
Talk to me Goose
1,703 Posts
Your answer was on Pinks. Did you see when the stupid host got on a sport bike when he has only rode Harleys.
Man that was hilarious, i remember watching the video over and over from a thread off this forum.

·
ELWOOD
5,148 Posts
I think this topic has been covered once before...:sing:

1000cc sportbike=indy car on two wheels

·
I ride to get away...
146 Posts
I had a buell m2 cyclone, and it was a 1203cc and was ported and polished and had screaming eagle rods, and cams. There is nooooooooooooooo comparison to my r1. be fore on the buell i'd be off the linf ahead of 600's, but only for about 20-30 feet, after that, it was all over for the buell, or any other harley or cruiser for that fact(thats not set up for drag). Thats why i sold it, i got tired of being in the back of the pack, and now i moved to the front!!!!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
harley vs. r1 -- get what you want. do you want a bike that is comfortable or do you want a bike built for performance. i myself like performance.

starting on a litre bike -- just remember respect the bike. the first time you forget the power it has, you will be on your ass.

just my two pennies

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.