Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· MELB AU YZF-RRRR1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a bike from japan and import to AU, and with the description of the 2012 YZF-R1 is has US Specification.

Whats the differences between US specs, then japan or AU? Japan and AU should be the same because, I'm sure AU imports all our bikes from Japan.

· MELB AU YZF-RRRR1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
They all are imported from Japan, the differences are most likely in the ECU, US Yamaha's are restricted in the ECU. An ECU flash can/will remove the restrictions, the color schemes have been different like that for years.

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
The ECU is easy to flash, get the US version, there is nothing else different but the ECU settings.

· Astronomer not Astrologer
11,161 Posts
I believe the Japan spec has an exup...to limit power...they use that spec in a few other more restrictive counties as well. The main difference between a US and AU bike is the imobilizer. The AU bike can use the EU image and run just fine.

· I RACE U LOSE
4,145 Posts
Like Tad stated, get the US version if you don't want the immobilizer, get an AU model if you do want it. I would imagine we have an AU member that can flash your ECU for you 'down there', instead of shipping your ECU to the states. Good Luck with it ! Its an awesome bike once flashed, especially w/exhaust and tuned.

· MELB AU YZF-RRRR1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There are listing that don't have US specifications, the restrictions are just power? anything else?

How about if i just got the japan spec, is there any downside? i'd rather have the immobiliser since i'll be parking in the city, not sure if the japan version is the same as AU.

I'm pretty newb, only do cosmetics with my bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.