Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new ride. I'm tossed between the new R1 and the FZ1.

I love the looks of the '02 R1, but wonder if I can ride it longer than 200-300miles a day without starting to cry (I'm 6'1", 205lbs). Anybody have much experience with this? How far can I get on a tank of gas (fuel mileage)?
And is my wifey going to beat me after she goes riding with me on that small hard seat?
Would the uglier FZ1 be a better option?

I currently ride a VMAX, but have ridden CBR1100XX, CBR929 (never touched an R1).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Todd said:
I'm in the market for a new ride. I'm tossed between the new R1 and the FZ1.

I love the looks of the '02 R1, but wonder if I can ride it longer than 200-300miles a day without starting to cry (I'm 6'1", 205lbs). Anybody have much experience with this? How far can I get on a tank of gas (fuel mileage)?
And is my wifey going to beat me after she goes riding with me on that small hard seat?
Would the uglier FZ1 be a better option?

I currently ride a VMAX, but have ridden CBR1100XX, CBR929 (never touched an R1).
If I was you I would get the FZ1 if you are going to put on the miles you stated above. I can get about 140 miles out of a tank of gas on my 2001 R1 before the light comes on. Of course this differs greatly depending on how the bike is ridden. Magazines post the mpg at around 40. And I think the wife would thank you for it. You could always buy the new Yamaha Warrior. Sweet Power Cruiser!

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
I tour on my R1 all the time, no problem. I'm also about your size (6'2 and 200+ pounds) The R1 is the best streetbike/trackbike I've ever ridden and makes a great sport tourer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys,..

I sure like the Silver R1 and if it has some (~300miles) Sport touring capabilities (as Droog mentioned) - I'm sold.

Talked to my dealer and he suggests I put a deposit down since they are only ordering ONE silver one for Spring delivery (I guess most of the interest is still in Blue - not for me...)

Later, Todd

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
This coming Sat (10/21) will be my 3rd 300+ mile tour. I will not do this two-up because whats the point of hitting the twisties if ya can't push a little bit...

Anyway, the biggest problem I had was hand/wrist pain after the first time, however, I was able to cure that by changing my riding position often and while on straights resting my fingers on the clutch/brake levers. The seat isn't TOO bad after a long ride, but I think a Corbin seat would be great. I have been wearing cycling shorts under my pants with the gell ass-pad in them which does make a noticeable difference.

Get the R1 because most of your rides will be solo...may as well have as much fun as you can!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Todd said:
Believe it or not...My GF loves riding on the back of the R1 and we have done a few 200+ mile rides...

I also have an XR650L which to me has a real "plush" seat and she told me that she would rather NEVER ride on the XR again if there was a choice...so I basically took that as:

R1 was alright for touring with out bags....

My GF doesnt like plush seats....LOL

Either way you are making a great choice if you get the R1

·
Whatever
325 Posts
I have an FZ1 but am thinking of going R1. I agree the FZ1 is ugly so I put a full lower fairing on it and it looks 100% better. Riderhaus I think still sells them, made by a company in Spain. The FZ1 is fairly comfortable but weighs a lot more tham an R1.... to the tune of about 80 pounds. I never ride that far so an R1 might work for me. Can't go wrong with either!

·
R1's Rule!!!
94 Posts
I sold my ZRX1100 when I bought my 2002 R1, and I have to admit, the R1 is a better touring bike than the ZRX was. Your wife will not like the back seat on the R1 or the FZ in my opinion, but other than that you should be pretty comfortable on the R1. I am 6'1 and about 185 to 190 (depending on the week:D ) and am perfectly happy on my R1. The only thing is city riding, when you don't have the wind on your chest, your wrists get tired.
Fuel range is about 135 to 150 miles to the fuel light, depending on your riding.
Hope this helps:)

Dave vanBrocklin

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
I have both, an 02 R1 and 01 FZ1, if you want to put miles and do alot of touring, go with the FZ1, way more comfortable... I got an AKRO full exhaust , Ivan jet kit and it is really close to the R1.. It is also very good handling bike,, great in the twisties, just not as sharp as the 1. Its blue with the full lower fairing, and looks good! just my 2 cents.

·
Watch out for the squids!!!
410 Posts
I've got a R1 and my buddies got a FZ1. Solo, the R1 is more fun and is fine for sport touring. Add a passenger and the FZ1 is a much better bike. My fiance's knees get to hurting on the R1, but my buddies GF can go all day on the FZ1. The seat on the FZ1 is nice for the rider and passenger, the R1's rear seat is a saltine with vinyl on it. My next bike will be a sport-tourer, probably a FJR1300 so that she will be more comfortable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts