Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
If my R6 had boobs,I'd lick'em
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a few pictures of one and it looked pretty nice, but I always see people on boards dogging on them, like they are trash. They seem pretty cheep to me, so I was wondering what problems they have that make them so bad? I might consider one over an honda f4/yzf 600r for the price.

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
There is notheing wrong with a Katana. They are just not the TOP of the line, most race track ready bike out there. I think they would make a great first bike :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing you were when I bought my first bike. I went with the F4 and never looked back. I would suggest you do the same, as the F4 has the advantage over the Katana in every regard except price (but that doesn't include resale value, which you may want to consider in the over all cost).

·
Broke old fat and slow!
264 Posts
Originally posted by Shadow One
There is notheing wrong with a Katana. They are just not the TOP of the line, most race track ready bike out there. I think they would make a great first bike :)
They very simple design:
No water cooling (cooled by oil).
Engine is about indestructible (been around ~20 years used in many bikes i.e. Suzuki bandits ..-I did have one NO PROBLEMS-).

Not the lightest and not the fastest, but the cheapest (a great beginner bike -won't keep-up with an R1 on the track...-).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There is a guy in my neighborhood that has been trying to sell his for 4 months. He said only 4 people have even looked at it since. Nobody wants those ugly things. If he was selling a r1 or a gixxer it would of been gone a long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
I'm not real crazy about the looks of the Can O Tuna, but I think
it would make a great first bike. Resale could be tough because
not many people want them unless you let it go dirt cheap. It
would be a bike that you would out grow in no time and then
you would have wished you've bought a higher out put 600cc
bike like a R6, F4 or ZX6. I think it's more out dated than anything
else and it's not liquid cooled.

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
bikenut said:
They're very heavy.
The wife sat on one when we were looking for a bike for her. It was EXTREMELy heavy and seemed very long.

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
there are way too many other great starter bikes to say that a Kraptuna is good for much of anything..

F2
EX500
SV650
and on and on..

The only attribute I can think of is the tuna is comfy and durable.

·
pavement tester....
7,282 Posts
Skeeter said:
It
would be a bike that you would out grow in no time and then
you would have wished you've bought a higher out put 600cc
bike like a R6, F4 or ZX6.
THIS is all you need to know about buying a Katana. Everyone that I've know thats had one doesnt want it within 6 months of buying it.

.......I'm waiting for the post about how its all rider and a good rider on a Katana could smoke a rider on an R1:argue :sleep

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
KneeDragger77 said:
.......I'm waiting for the post about how its all rider and a good rider on a Katana could smoke a rider on an R1:argue :sleep
Hey man... you dont know what you are talkign about... It is all about the rider. You put a good rider on a Katana and the Kat will run circles around the R1's and G1K's on a track or twisty road :rant :lol

·
Insert some thing here.
1,060 Posts
KneeDragger77 said:
THIS is all you need to know about buying a Katana. Everyone that I've know thats had one doesnt want it within 6 months of buying it.

:rant Screw all of you Kat haters. I took all kinds of shet for 3 years while I had mine. Sorry I couldn't afford a Honda, but I loved my Kat. Yea its heavy as hell and its slow, but its comfy, fun, and you don't have to worry about thieves or ****in it up. I purchased my 95' 750 in 97 for $2500 I traded it in with about $750 into it(beside oil, gas, and tires) and sold it for $2500 in 2002 for the R1. I would recomend a Kat for a starter any day. BTW If you have never owned one you can shut the F up. Because all your going off of is he said.:yesnod :argue

1 - 20 of 33 Posts