Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don't Hate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 2003 r1...how would you adjust the suspension so that wheelies are made easier and smoother? do you make the suspension hard or soft?

·
CCS #228
881 Posts
Do you bounce, throttle, or clutch your wheelies?

·
Jaw Droppin' Stunts
124 Posts
sonic13 said:
i got a 2003 r1...how would you adjust the suspension so that wheelies are made easier and smoother? do you make the suspension hard or soft?
...nuttin'! ...get a steering dampener cause these bike are tank slap happy, and when your comin' down from a wheelie, for a softer landing, give it gas on the way down...:bandit

·
WHEELIE KING-girls luvmyweiner
4,297 Posts
I bounce mine up, and I've got my front set up soft ( I also have ohlins forks) and the rear set stiff, If you clutch them however, you may want the front a little stiffer. Hope this helps goodluck

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
you can try taking a flat blade, and "loosening" the adjusters on top of your forks. iirc, they are already 13 clicks from the tightest setting.. there is another 7-8 clicks of softness left. that will help you bounce it up, or with chopping the throttle.

be cautious though, with the diff. suspension the bike not behave like you're used to.

i run with mine stiffer up front for stoppies.. which initially hurt my ability to bring up 3rd and 4th.. but i got used to it.

·
Don't Hate
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if im bouncing...i should soften my front forks and make my back stiff? how bout the height on the rear shock should it be dropped or should it be higher?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
one thing at a time. try softening the front and see if that is an improvement. if it's "not enough" then move into the rear (since adjusting the front is a 1 min job i'd start with that)

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Stiffen the whole bike up. Softening makes your forks travel up and down slower = no bounce.

The rear should be stiff cuz you don't want the suspension to travel while you're in a wheelie. This will just cause inconsistant wheelie hight and adjustments = a nervous wheelie.

For endos... it's different. But that wasn't your questions.. so I'll stop here.

·
What Was That?
28 Posts
woow, rear shock preload 5 from off helps me
keep the front standard except for comp 1 click harder, cable tie the fork tube and you will see if your bottoming out, and really it means nothin cause technique will get the bike up anyway,,,,,,,, good luck, getting it ups is easy controling and balancing is another, slack chain and half a tanks helps when your learning , don't take anythin for granted!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts