Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you wheelie kings out there, how hard is it to wheelie with stock gearing on a 07 R1? I can get the front tire up there but not ride it out. Mostly because the R1 has so much power I'd imagine just a little too much throttle while you're riding out a wheelie and you'll loop. I know -1/+2 ratio helps but how much harder is it to wheelie on an R1 with stock gearing? Do you recommend clutch ups or power wheelies? I've always heard clutch ups are much safer but I also see a lot of power wheelies on the R1. And don't lecture me on why I shouldn't wheelie lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
What gear are you doing it in? I've had an 03, 07, and now a 13 R1 and all would throttle up with ease in first gear. If you do -1/+2, it'll throttle up with as much or more ease in second gear.
Learn where your balance point is and just throttle it up. The closer you get to the balance point, the more you'll feeling like you're about to loop it the first few times. Just takes time and built comfort.
I rather that over clutching it up because it raises a little smoother and predictably rather than the quick pop up. Everyone has their own way of doing it though.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,328 Posts
I find to ride a long wheely the best way to bring it up is to stand on the pegs and give a little hop and as the suspension unloads give it some throttle. On the 02/03 it was so easy and I had it mastered. On my 04 I find it a bit more difficult with the power of the bike having such a steep acceleration curve where my 02 had more on the low end making it easier. I like the 04 much better but it's very aggressive enough so to make ya think if you have the revs to high she might just decide to try and loop out on ya. I've heard the 07/08 is fairly aggressive as well. I find that my Gilles rear sets higher peg position adds to the difference as well with the peg position higher than stock and all. I have stock gearing as well. Plan on going up 2 in the rear though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can power wheelie pretty easily in first gear once I'm in the power band. I also have a power commander. I may just need to grow some balls and get it up there lol. I just went down one tooth on the first sprocket also. Would hate to loop muh baby lol. How easily could you all get it up in first gear power wheelie?

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,328 Posts
On my 02 r1 it would throttle right up at about any rpm so so easy. Now from 04 on Yamaha moved the engine farther forward to try and gain stability and help keep the front wheel planted then also switched from a low end torque style of power to a screaming demon that does not come really alive until 7500/8000 rpms so this makes a 1st gear wheely below 7000 rpms lacking,where the clutch is needed to get it up. But above 8000 she will come up so fast and all the sudden. I can take off from a dead stop open once the clutch is out hold it wide open and the front stays planted till I'm well over 50mph then it comes up so fast, then when I nail second gear it comes right back up. Such a awesome machine. I will say if I wanted to ride wheelys all the time I would prefer a first or second generation R1. Preferably the 02/03, just a flat out wheely monster. Makes it almost feel faster even though the 04/06 puts much more power to the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about mapping my power commander and see if that would help but idk how lol. My 07 doesn't seem to power wheelie too easily like your explaining. I guess practice makes perfect. I would love to be able to pull a monster wheelie and just ride it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Zereynol
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing