Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. ive been riding streetbikes since 2010. i love riding and although it isnt important to me, wheelies have always seemed to elude me. back in 2011 i took my r6 to an abandoned lot and tried to teach myself. rolled to 7k, came off the throttle, and when the momentum shifted forward...i cracked the thottle. my 1st wheelie. i was scared shitless! i continued trying for a few weeks but couldnt get over the (balls in your stomach) feeling i got whenever the engine roared, so i gave up. most of my friends can pop one effortlessly, and even newbies seem to pick up wheelies fairly easily. i now ride an r1, and even though i ride for the love of it....id love to be able to pop it up every now and again. just for the rush. anyone have any pointers?

·
0-Jailtime in 2.9 seconds
249 Posts
I seem to recall there being a few threads on this..

I'm also quite scared to really wheelie my bike. I used to get my K4 to go a nice distance but it was always a power wheelie from first gear, and I never had the balls to shift mid wheelie.
Years ago I had a pit bike and it was a blast to wheelie. Was much easier to get it up when I was younger :)

I like getting the front up from time to time, mostly it's by accident though.
I quite enjoy having the front wheel hovering just that 30cm off the ground when you're flooring it - it's a nice reminder of the sheer amount of power under me.

Best advice I can give is to try it on a dirtbike instead, and then try the R1 again when you feel confident with keeping it at the balance point.
Power gets the wheel up, confidence keeps it there.

·
Im Lovin' It ;)
12 Posts
hold on tight and u might want to try the hunch and left foot on passenger peg method. keep ur right foot on the rear brake just in case it raises to high. its better than snapping the throttle shut and blowing the front forks. happy and safe riding. and PLEASE wear the proper gear example: proper gloves, maybe some pants, riding jacket and HELMET. and its good to have a friend riding with u in case the worst happens. GL tho. i cant promise that both of my wheels will stay on the ground the whole time i have this bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
One-ops
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing