Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem starting my bike a while back and found the problem to be a bad neutral switch.... I fixed that and the bike started fine. I then ran the codes on the bike just for the heck of it. Cant remember if I ever started it after that. Now I tried starting it today after my new ehaust install and all the bike does is cranks over and over. it will not start!! I checked fuel and the kill switch... and it still will not start.

one thing i did notice is when starting it now.. the nuetral light and the engine trouble warning light are both on when cranking the bike over. Is this normal? I never remember the engine trouble warning light being lit. Its the one directly under the neutral light and is orange.

any help would be great.

·
fly by wire
1,282 Posts
in the winter i start my 03 once every week so i don't have to drain everything out. well just a couple of weeks ago i ran into the same problem that you are having so i just jumped it and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hummm..... I have a battery charger on mine right now. Maybe I should just let it charge over night and see if it starts in the morning? I charged the battery about a month ago on it.... but now trying to start it... its drained down to shutting the digital dash display off when I chank it over.

·
fly by wire
1,282 Posts
charging overnight should work. i would still try jumping it off of a portable jumper. i never tried jumping it w/a car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bike still will not start.

When I turn the key on the milage comes up on the digital display and then it changed to 19 and the engine trouble warning light comes on.

I then turn the key off and hold the two buttons in and turn the key on. It them goes into Diagn mode and I can go up or down to check the codes.....

How do I get out of the diagn mode? it wont let me......

anyone ever have this problem? Is the 19 a code its throwing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok... I finally got to download the service manual and read through it.....

Acording to that... number 19 is a faulty sidestand switch.

What the heck is going on? My bike only has 430 miles on it and I have already had to replace the neutral safty switch... now the side stand switch is crap??????????? The bike started fine a month ago and has been sitting in the garage since..... what would cause a faulty side stand to happen from just sitting???

How do I get around this problem and start the bike? I want o hear my exhaust.

thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its wierd... I tried starting my bike yesterday with the clutch in and it still would not start.

After reading the service manual some and noticing that it was displaying a 19(bad sidestand switch) code on start up....

It started right up today with the clutch IN.... the min the clutch is let out it kills the bike. So now I know for sure that its the sidestand switch.

What I would really like to know is.... whats causing all the switches on my bike to die. Like I said before I only have 430 miles on my bike. After the bike sitting for a month my neutral safty switch crapped out. Now the bike has been sitting for another 2 months and the sidestand switch craps out..... whats going on?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just put a new neutral switch in and it solved the problem. I am guessing there is some type of power regulator or something? where would I find that?

I did rewire my little lights in my headlights for blinkers and installed greggs flush mounts along with an adjustable relay.... but I followed all the directions on this sight...... dont think any of that is messing my power up do you?

·
Banned
494 Posts
ok. i had this problem after i dropped my bike that orange lite cam on and it wouldent tart all i did was turn the key off and then turn it back on. after the fuel pump shut off it fired right up. so its got to be something to do with your fuel pump.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
look at you digital readout.... when you turn the bike over does the yellow/orange "engine trouble warning light" flash? then let go of the starter button.... and does a #19 show up on your dash readout?

also... if you pull in the clutch does your bike start? only with the clutch in.......

I ordered a new sidestand switch but since my deal is retarded thet ordered me a brake light switch..... my dealer sucks so bad.

·
AMO
82 Posts
The bike does not start with the clutch in.

There is a clicking when I push the starter button.

So I disconected the battery, and starter relay and reconected them to see if the conection was bad. Not the problem.

The engine warning light does not come on nor is there an error code showing any more.

Kyle

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
R1 Munkey-

I downloaded the service manual from this thread-

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77550

Also I figured my problem out. It was NOT the side stand switch. My problem ended up being a bad " starter circuit cut-off relay ". Its located under the seat next to the flasher relay. Cost was $44.00

I unplugged the old one, plug the new one in, and my bike starts right up... no problems at all now-

good luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts