Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all! I went out to try and start my bike today (started yesterday) and it turned over and over... i was running it somewhat died and i noticed that the negative post on the battery was to hot to even touch.....

is this normal? is this normal when trying to start it with a low battery? or is my battery junk?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
A hot battery post is generally a sign of a loose or dirty/corroded connection. Take the cable off the post and clean the connection, apply some die electric grease and tighten the cable. You should do the positive cable as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is exactly what i was thinking.... but my battery cables and posts are perfectly clean. I also just had the negative cable off 20 mins before that and tightened it nice and tight before this happened..... could some type of electrical short somewhere in the bike cause this?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I would suspect some internal damage in the battery itself maybe. Try charging it and give it a load test to see if it will pass. I believe a r1 battery is 125 cca. Load the battery with 62.5 amps for 15 seconds on a battery load tester, voltage should not fall below 9.6 volts at 72 f.

I would think a problem with your bikes electrics would have blown fuses before it created this kind of heat on your post. Try the battery first, it's more than likely your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts