Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on checking the synchronization on my throttle bodies for my 04' R1. It says it should be checked at 600 miles. My bike already has 1350 miles on it. I currently have a motion pro 4 tube carb/throttle body sync kit I purchased for $40. I'm planning on purchasing a device such as a digital tachometer with alligator clips, or a digital timing gun with RPM gauge and a spark plug wire clamp as the sensor.

Which digital RPM/tach device do I need to buy to measure the idle on my 04' R1?

Where do I connect either the alligator clips (I know the red alligator clip on the instructions say to connect to the negative of the coil), if I purchase a digital tachometer?

If I get the digital timing gun, where can I connect the spark plug wire sensor clamp? (I thought our motorcycle does not have a spark plug wire, but only the boot that goes into the cylinder head, with wires coming out).

Lastly, does anyone know any techniques on getting the gas to the bike, when the fuel tank is removed. I have heard people connecting a very long fuel hose, while the fuel tank is on a table or stand.

Any other tips such as the special long screwdriver, or tools needed or recommended?

· Registered
15,446 Posts
Re: Where exactly to hook up digital RPM meter? Synchronizing throttle bodies on 04' R1?

zee said:
I'm planning on checking the synchronization on my throttle bodies for my 04' R1. It says it should be checked at 600 miles. My bike already has 1350 miles on it. I currently have a motion pro 4 tube carb/throttle body sync kit I purchased for $40.

--->If the idle is good and smooth,dont bother.

I'm planning on purchasing a device such as a digital tachometer with alligator clips, or a digital timing gun with RPM gauge and a spark plug wire clamp as the sensor.

Which digital RPM/tach device do I need to buy to measure the idle on my 04' R1?

--->No idea...and no idea why you"d need such a thing either!

Where do I connect either the alligator clips (I know the red alligator clip on the instructions say to connect to the negative of the coil), if I purchase a digital tachometer?

If I get the digital timing gun, where can I connect the spark plug wire sensor clamp? (I thought our motorcycle does not have a spark plug wire, but only the boot that goes into the cylinder head, with wires coming out).

--->Not familiar with these,sounds like cars tools...not used on bikes...

--->Maybe a dyno tuner could help,they know where to hook up the tach signal for their software on the ECU.

Lastly, does anyone know any techniques on getting the gas to the bike, when the fuel tank is removed. I have heard people connecting a very long fuel hose, while the fuel tank is on a table or stand.

--->You would also need to find a way to hook-up the fuel tank fuel level sensor and fuel pump power.....HHaaaa,the joy of EFI.

Any other tips such as the special long screwdriver, or tools needed or recommended?
I hope someone can shed some more light on that...

592 Posts
I think what you're planning with the digital tach is overkill in doing the carb sync. You can just adjust your idle using the idle screw that's in the lower left side of the bike to the desired rpm and get the same results. In any case if you remove the tank you will have to run a high pressure extension hose and also extend the electrical wire to run the fuel pump. An assortment of small screw drivers would be handy in order to reach the sync screws.
Good luck

· ---------------
49 Posts
You really should read the service manual to your bike ,synchronizing the throttle bodies is easy if you have the manual.The tank does not have to be removed,just lift it up and keep everything connected ,no other fuel source is needed.Keep in mind that the screws that you use to sync carburetors are not the same screws you use to sync throttle bodies.It's all in the service manual,if you are using merc gauges make sure to keep them upright ,you don't want that mercury getting into your motor.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sinto1 said:
You really should read the service manual to your bike ,synchronizing the throttle bodies is easy if you have the manual.The tank does not have to be removed,just lift it up and keep everything connected ,no other fuel source is needed.Keep in mind that the screws that you use to sync carburetors are not the same screws you use to sync throttle bodies.It's all in the service manual,if you are using merc gauges make sure to keep them upright ,you don't want that mercury getting into your motor.
I have the service manual, and I also know there is an 04' R1 online service manual located on this R1-forum. Lastly, the manual states to drain the fuel tank and remove it. This is why I need anyone and everyones comments on how to tackle this. It's also not clear, as the manual just states something like connect the digital tachometer near the sparkplug or something like that.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I looked over the service manual instructions again. It says to remove the fuel tank, then later, it says to install it again, right before testing... Weird... Why was there a need to remove the fuel tank then in the first place? They should have said lift the fuel tank?

· My R1 eats bugs.
64 Posts
Hey, Zee, or anyone else that does their own wrenching:

So did the injectors really need to be synced at 600 miles? I know the service manual says to do this, but I can't believe they should be out of sync if they were set right at the factory. Before I go digging through the garage to find my vacuum gauges I was curious if anyone had tried this and found it to be necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.