Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post showing a Beck Arnley part number for a temp sensor that is 190 degrees instead of 220 degrees of the OEM part.
I would like to try this sensor in my bike this summer to get the fan rolling a little sooner than 220 degrees!
where is it located in the cooling system?
I’ve looked at the parts fiche for the radiator as well as the cylinder head but didn’t notice it right off. My bike isn’t nearby to give it the 👁
Anyone know right off where it is found? Thank you kindly.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,198 Posts
There is no thermoswitch on the 00-01. You will need a 98-99 radiator to make it work. That's is what I did on my 00 and then ran the grounded the fan relay coil through the thermoswitch.

Mark

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help me understand what makes the fan come on at a designated temperature on an 01

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,198 Posts
The 98-99 uses the thermoswitch to complete the cooling fan circuit. The 00-01 uses a preset signal at 220 to turn the fan relay on. There's no way to adjust the turn on temp so you have to either put in a manual switch or replace your radiator with one that will accept a thermo switch.

Mark

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. Appreciate the info.
any idea where this 220 degree number is stored?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, If it helps I thought I had a temp overheating issue, it turned out to be the rad cap, but before I realised I bought a neat little circuit board online, well in fact two boards, both of these boards have a thermistor (temp sensor) on a long wire which I was going to attach too the top of the radiator in some way, at the circuit board end you can set a temperature, when the board will, depending on the board, either switch (complete a circuit) or output 12v to an item, both boards have a neat digital display and you can of course set the temp when you wish the item to switch on..
The idea was to use the switching one to activate the fan relay before the ECU decided to, however not too send 12v too the ECU The wrong way if you know what I mean..
You can mount the digital display on the dash or mount it under the pillion seat..
As I said I thought it would be an issue here in Turkey with 40+ degrees in summer but the issue was the incorrect rad cap..
Cheers

This is a similar unit to give you an idea..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just forgot,, also I read somewhere ( I forget where) you can change the value of the temp sensor by fitting a resistor in line, lowering or raising the value will trick the ECU to switch on later or earlier...
I didnt look into this too deep so I am not sure what type or value of resistor to use...but an easy option..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts