Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The flames took my R6
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m planning to buy a used dirtbike, but which one??

The local dealer offered me a Yamaha YZ 125ccm from 2001.

What should i check for, i don´t want a bike that demands a lot of service.

·
Point it at the sky
867 Posts
yz's are great bikes!!!! but if you get a high-revving 2 stroke, don't expect to do NO maintenance

·
The flames took my R6
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naae that´s also what they told me.
Course it needs some maintenance but i don´t want to lay on my back every weekend and change pistonrings or worse things.. :)
They also had a 4 stroke for sale, but they are quite expensive.
I´m only buying the bike because i can´t stand the thought of going trough a hole winter without driving anything on two wheels!!

Is the 125 powerfull enough for training a lot of wheelies and so or should i go for the 250ccm??

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
Stay away from two strokes if you dont want to do maintenance..
Take my word for it... I raced motocross for years and years..

Best bike... CR 250, YZ 250...

The new four stroke dirt bikes are bad ass!! Like the CRF's, etc. But they cost a lot..

·
How many bikes is Enough ?
594 Posts
YZ125 is basically a safe buy.
If you fun ride every second weekend, a piston and rings should last 8 to 12 months.
Maintenance is simple, change engine oil often, keep the air filter clean and use a good 2 stroke oil. Do the steering head, swing arm and rear linkage bearings every 6 to 8 months.

If the condition of the bike is good (not a touch up job) the owner has probably looked after the maintenance side equally well. Always best to check out and ask how he previously maintained the bike. Plastic scratches and creases easily so this is normal. Badly bend radiators normally means some big crashes. If they start to leak , this could be expensive - motor overgheating and cost of replacement.

250 Four stroke is a much easier bike to wheelie. The 2 stroke will need rear brake modulation or you will flip it (no natural compression)

·
Life is GRAND
1,992 Posts
If you got the cash I say go with a 4-stroke. 2 strokes can much more of a pain in the ass. Any of the manufactures have good 4-stroke. But you can never go wrong with a honda dirtbike.

·
No Need for a Title
3,768 Posts
dude,, if you want a bike that requires little maintnance, buy a KTM, I raced my 250 mxc for a whole season without replacing the top end, if you are looking at 125's, I would check into a KTM 200 mxc or exc, they are sweet as hell and you dont have to scream the hell out of them to get going like a 125

·
Track Junkie
4,774 Posts
alloutgraphics

Your avitar is funny as hell.:yesnod

·
YZF-R1 Yamaha
291 Posts
Get as much power as you can afford or that you can find available. Believe me, you will want more power real soon. That's just how it is with bikes, especially if you are riding a r6 now.

Don't get me wrong, YZ125's are great bikes and I think you'll be surprised how low maintenance they are.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Kawi KDX200 if you can find one.
Four strokes are fairly bullet proof, 2 strokes will require maintenance, If you got time and balls, go find an older KX500 or CR500.
When you get to spring you can always rig it with light for a streetfighter!!!!
Lotsa fun!!!!

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
125 and low maintenance... I don't know about that.. My 125's had to have rings and pistons put in about every other race or so.. But then again, I was racing them.. Now the 250's, you can get away with a little more time...

I've had 2 Pro Circuit 125's
and three Pro Circuit 250's,.. and was sponsored..

·
The flames took my R6
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They also have a WR426 for sale for 3500 USD $ year 2001
Maybe i should buy that one instead then..
The YZ125 costs 2750 USD $

·
still not fast enough...
15 Posts
yea

I wish I woulda put a light on my 2000 CR500. I think back on it now, and unless I would have ran against something bigger than a 750, there wouldnt have been much of anything touching me on the street. Especially from a 20 mph roll. Shoot, I would bet if I was in 2nd gear or higher on my R1 racing that 500 from 20 mph I woulda got smoked to about 80 til I caught up. Thats the thing though, I never raced a street bike on that 500, so I wouldnt really know. I do and can remember seat of the pants feeling though. And that 500 went from 20 to 100 shiftin from 2nd to 5th with probably just enough time between gears to go to the next in about 6 seconds or so. I would say that from a roll on and on a 600, youre done to whatever the top end on that 500 was. From a dead stop, then yea, youre gonna get over on it, cause that thing was difficult to launch on pavement. Anyways, its fun thinking about them days again...

Cook

·
Registered
551 Posts
dirt bike

Big bore 4 stroke, 2 stroke pain in the ass. Have had both. 4 stroke is the way to go. xr 600.

·
fear is healthy
1,038 Posts
A crosser with a big disc............................................................................................................................................................................................................Heaven.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts