Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got an R1, lots of work to do.

Would like get a lift, not sure if hyd or air is the way to go. Don’t wanna break the bank, but think I’d have trouble sleeping if the bike is sitting on a harbor freight lift.

For those of you who own or use a motorcycle lift, any suggestions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Finally got an R1, lots of work to do.

Would like get a lift, not sure if hyd or air is the way to go. Don’t wanna break the bank, but think I’d have trouble sleeping if the bike is sitting on a harbor freight lift.

For those of you who own or use a motorcycle lift, any suggestions?
Hi valkarye, I have one but I am in the UK. But since I had one i would not be without one. Mine you can use a compressor on the hydraulic foot pedal. The dog is too old to be working on my knees with mats. Also you can be right on top of the job when working on the bike.
They are great, 2muchblue or Ruben plus Chris and others on here will be able to give you advice on the better makes over there.
They are a must really for rebuilding bikes as are engine holder or jigs is for rebuilding engines, as you can turn engines at any angle for access are gre too.
I would consider getting a secondhand one too, you may be able to get a bargain rather than buying new.
Just remember to take the to take the hydraulic foot arm off, save taking your shins off . And never put it under the ramp like I did, big mistake, all my fault as it toppled the bike over, I was lucky not much damage. Here's a picture off mine. Good luck on getting a good one

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Venom X/O
26,378 Posts
Afternoon - Chris here.

The shop I frequent and sometimes work at, we use a titan:

Well there are a few lifts, but this is a great one.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,687 Posts
Hello,

I took a chance on the Harbor Freight lift. I had a coupon and it was on sale.

I have been pleased with it. Comes with a durable safety rod and stays balanced at full extension.

It is nice to sit on a stool or stand up to work on the bike.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Jimmy boy. Dig it man, shits sweet. After researching a bit, there’s a ton of lifts out there with various options.

The HB model is hard to ignore at 500, and it looks like several other manufacturers have the same design. I really like how the 4 castor design let’s you movie it around easily.

Besides electric hydraulics, most seem to be powered by either air or a manual hydraulic foot pump. Some have both air and manual operation which is nice.

Thinking the dual function makes the most sense, but it looks like those manual foot pumps may get in the way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, do we have any use for those jacks that are offered as accessories? Only use I can think of would be removing a swingarm. Other than that, pretty sure they wouldn’t be used in basic track bike prep / setup

·
Registered
2017 R1M
837 Posts
Also, do we have any use for those jacks that are offered as accessories? Only use I can think of would be removing a swingarm. Other than that, pretty sure they wouldn’t be used in basic track bike prep / setup
Mine is a chassis lift. Awesome for lifting bike up safely . Wheels, forks, swing arm whatever can be serviced
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 R1M
837 Posts
Damn man, got me rethinking everything. Your rig looks expensive. 4k? 5k?
It’s been probably 10 years ago that I bought it. I think with all the components ( chassis lift was a option built for Yamaha R1’s) probably cost me 5k. Obviously everything has gone way up. Still would buy it though. I use it for all my bikes. Dirt , street, whatever. Would even work on Harleys if that’s what you rode.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, your setup is def not cheap. Saw a vid of your chassis mech on the 13x forum, was really impressed. Would love to have it, but think it’s more than i need. Most guys over there say handy and KL is the way to. Have also mentioned titan. Think I’ll pop into my local shop and see what they’re using

·
G'Daam I LOVE BIKES
489 Posts
Have had my harbor friend for years and no issues absolute love it for cost and effectiveness.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
11,075 Posts
Mine is air powered.

For pulling the rear shock, I just hang out from the rafters....

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,821 Posts
Dropping the motor is one use. Changing the rear tire is another. The reason I say dropping the motor is because it can guide the decent. It's not absolutely necessary as with 2 people dropping the motor isn't especially hard. If you are a one man band it can be a chore though. Also to change the rear tire you can use a rear stand.

·
Banned
420 Posts
That's more like an everyman cave. Car rack to die for, let alone the roof over the place.

The crap you go thru... cough it up. I mean, budget bike rack? Priorities are where? The rack is for life. Only a lifer buys a lift.. cheap or top of the line. I got it; no throwing parties, suds runs, eating out... for awhile... and the rack appears, not some my knees hurt, check my scissor jack some 40 years later?... that's what she said.

Signed,
NOLTT

1 - 20 of 49 Posts