Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

Registered
air powered is best; foot pumping takes too long. i have the harbor freight lift.

why air powered ? if you like to use the lift for a parking space

Registered
Say parts down the road she goes out of business, parts are NA even at the factory, so buy our new one? That's now finding pump and air seals if either/or takes a dive. Hand pump is one main seal, and maybe one more.

Mine is a foot pump and finally gave out on the sealing side to lift the rack. Took the pump apart and ran around for this special seal. Gave up and called a seal company. Short story was 300 bucks to make a mold on a worn out part? More money to make the cast for the mold, then money for the finished seal.

I kind of studied the seal some. Had taken off the engine rubber mat off one of my test mules. I cut out 4 leaf clovers and layered them in a staggered formation until it met the height of the old seal. I had a drain pan at the time to catch the oil coming out, and kept filling the pump as it lost some on the way up.

Knock on steel, pan has been dry ever since.

Foot power is best. Foot is in stepping on a fine incremental move. Air takes too long to pinpoint like a foot would. You'd be messing with the air to match heights. I'd have so many stacks of wood blocks to air it down on those 4 corners to match the foot action.

As one event on the rack is to say lift the engine up to the frame? I'd like to see that with air assist controlling that same slow speed going up... on your mark, get set....''foot pumping takes too long.'' 馃槣

Venom X/O
Say parts down the road she goes out of business, parts are NA even at the factory, so buy our new one? That's now finding pump and air seals if either/or takes a dive. Hand pump is one main seal, and maybe one more.

Mine is a foot pump and finally gave out on the sealing side to lift the rack. Took the pump apart and ran around for this special seal. Gave up and called a seal company. Short story was 300 bucks to make a mold on a worn out part? More money to make the cast for the mold, then money for the finished seal.

I kind of studied the seal some. Had taken off the engine rubber mat off one of my test mules. I cut out 4 leaf clovers and layered them in a staggered formation until it met the height of the old seal. I had a drain pan at the time to catch the oil coming out, and kept filling the pump as it lost some on the way up.

Knock on steel, pan has been dry ever since.

Foot power is best. Foot is in stepping on a fine incremental move. Air takes too long to pinpoint like a foot would. You'd be messing with the air to match heights. I'd have so many stacks of wood blocks to air it down on those 4 corners to match the foot action.

As one event on the rack is to say lift the engine up to the frame? I'd like to see that with air assist controlling that same slow speed going up... on your mark, get set....''foot pumping takes too long.'' 馃槣
Whatever you Gotta tell yourself to justify working harder not smarter. The airlift is so easy, and very easily controlled at any speed up or down

Registered
I agree. I am back and forth on both on almost a daily basis telling myself about both racks I deal with. I'm just saying that air has it's good and bad, but working less harder means more accuracy with foot assist. Less parts needed down the road with NA up front, means less parts needed are smarter.

Signed,
NOLTT (no other lift than this)

馃槑馃幉

Registered
air powered is faster and easier and that means you will use the lift more often; foot pumping takes too long

Astronomer not Astrologer
My air powered one raiese in about 5 seconds. There are steped interlocks every 6" or so and it is trivial to stop it any one you want. My lift is ~20 years old.and still works great, with nothing to fix except greasing the pivots every now and then.

Reactions: 1202067

Registered
What I love about the 'faster' part of pump vs air is... we are talking almost less than a minute from getting there at full lift. I mean, how much 'time' is this if you are not going anywhere with the bike?

Pun~ not buying it to save a few seconds to break the bank?

Signed,
No One Listens To Training... Look at that leg muscle exercise you're missing out on :LOL:馃帬

Registered
What I love about the 'faster' part of pump vs air is... we are talking almost less than a minute from getting there at full lift. I mean, how much 'time' is this if you are not going anywhere with the bike?

Pun~ not buying it to save a few seconds to break the bank?

Signed,
No One Listens To Training... Look at that leg muscle exercise you're missing out on :LOL:馃帬
experience using the foot pump says you should've bought the air pump model; foot pumping gets old and takes time. if you use lift for parking space AND the lift takes up less space when raised (very important). in winter i keep two snow blowers on lift and have to raise everytime i use them.

yes, foot pump model cost less, but air pump model is far better

Registered
I'd say if you're a line mechanic and speed is money, but personal time vs the cash layout, I'll just let it tumble in the OP's head.

Registered
I'd say if you're a line mechanic and speed is money, but personal time vs the cash layout, I'll just let it tumble in the OP's head.
and you are correct, but the reality is most of us with a lift will use it for more than just lifting motorcycle for oil or tire change AND the foot pumping gets old fast

Registered
2017 R1M
With the electric/hydraulic you do t have to worry about anything except 110 volt plug in. Raises and lowers smoothly and effortless. No air lines or worries about air compressor or the noise of compressor

Registered
2020 R1
I went with the Handy Standard 1200. Great lift and the height it goes to means no bending over at all. Very well built product.

Registered
My goal was to get the cheapest reasonably adequate lift I could find, which turned out to be a $250 lightly used Harbor Freight off Craigslist I had the same initial concerns with Harbor, but my bike's been up and down now 50+ times and I've only had oil leak one time and that's because I pumped her a little to hard when she was cold (don't go there, lol). I do always use the safety bar in either of the 2 available positions. These things show up frequently on Craigslist in major markets. If you find one lightly used, I can recommend taking your chances on it based on my experience. Test it by having seller put a load on it and letting you do the footwork. Pump with smooth moderate effort. If you hammer her, especially when cold, you know what to expect;)

Attachments

Registered
Adding my two cents鈥 worth here鈥

I bought the Bursig motorcycle stand, and I love it. Excellent quality and well worth the $$, in my opinion.

BURSIG USA Motorcycle Stands

Registered
I have the harbor freight lift with a Pitbull stand for when taking off the rear wheel. It pretty much takes up the same space raised as lowered. Takes no time to lift it with the petal. I have limited outlets in the garage so am happy it doesn鈥檛 require one. Keep in mind that you鈥檒l do a lot more work yourself on the bike when you have a lift so that means you will be investing in all kind of other tools = more $$$. For me, a solid functional lift for $500 freed up cash for all the other parts and tools I need for restoring my R1 and other bikes.

Registered
I use a ABBA,best $700.00 I ever spent and doesn't take up half the garage,gets the front and back wheel up high enough for cleaning or whatever else is needed
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I went with the Handy Standard 1200. Great lift and the height it goes to means no bending over at all. Very well built product.

I have the same lift and love it. Get a handy, they will last you forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaxaca Flocka Flame
If you are in so cal you can come buy my abba sky lift. i sold my bikes, slowly selling off all my leftover gear and tools.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Appreciate the offer man but don鈥檛 see that happening. I鈥檓 in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts