Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· My R1 Kills
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Looking) into buying a collectors piece, Purely for Collection and maybe some little riding. Not Much as have another Street Bike..

Option 1

R1 SP Euro version - Equivalent to the U.S R1 L.E version. Factory fitted Ohlins etc.. Marchesini wheels (More spec can be found on the Web if needed. With 1500 Miles

Option 2

R1 2012 50th Anniversary. With Only Akrapovic's, otherwise completely stock with 2200 Miles

Both Bikes are Priced pretty much the same, Not much difference in pricing..

What do you Guys think ?
Pics of both bike are attached

Not sure how to do a Poll on here, But the one which gets mentioned the most is probably what I might buy.. As like both Bikes, But inclined more to the SP due to Looks etc.. But let's get some of your guys thoughts before making a final verdict

Thanks

Attachments

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
R1 SP Euro gets my vote as well... The styling, the Ohlins, and wheels... Not to mention its an 04-06 so it looks better too :lol

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
My thought is, usually, if they are the same price, get the newer bike. But, if you are looking at a collector's piece - and they are the same price - get whichever is more rare. GL

· Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
2,025 Posts
My money would go to the 50th. No need to have the Ohlins if it's not going to get ridden hard.
I like the çolors/graphics and the fact that it's a numbered bike.

· My R1 Kills
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both are very nice bikes. Euro LE probably more rare
Thanks guys

Had a look at an SP over the weekend and it had 1800 miles, But was abused and looked in very bad shape (Condition)

Can get a Brand new SP with 0 miles for $28,000
or
12 50th Anniversary with 2000 miles in immaculate condition for $15,000

Not sure if true, But most people I've spoken to are saying the SP will be a Better bike in the Long run as only 500 Produced worldwide. Where the 50th was 2000 and is overall just a paint scheme

I am confused :dunno

· Premium Member
376 Posts
R1 SP euro gets my vote. The ohlins and march wheels really make it unique where as the 2012 looks to be just a paint job. I cant believe i just said no to a xplane lol
:thumbup

· Just happy to be here...
1,748 Posts
Thanks guys

Had a look at an SP over the weekend and it had 1800 miles, But was abused and looked in very bad shape (Condition)

Can get a Brand new SP with 0 miles for $28,000
or
12 50th Anniversary with 2000 miles in immaculate condition for $15,000

Not sure if true, But most people I've spoken to are saying the SP will be a Better bike in the Long run as only 500 Produced worldwide. Where the 50th was 2000 and is overall just a paint scheme

I am confused :dunno

Not trying to insult anyones brain power here, but the SP's are actually rare, and the 2012 was just a Milestone for Yamaha with the 50th anniversary bike, that introduced factory traction control.....
I would def go for the SP if your truly looking for a collectors item. If you wanted something to ride I'd get the 2012....

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
Something else to consider, very different motor characteristics as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.