Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Imperial Storm Trooper
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to paint the bike next week and cant decide either glossy white or metallic white. I really like the Alpine white look. I'd keep the wheels black to hide those brake dust =)

BTW.... would the shop be able to buy the factory decals from the raven edition "R1 deltabox & Yamaha" from yamaha?

What shade of white do you recommend? TIA:)

4,112 Posts
I'm looking to paint the bike next week and cant decide either glossy white or metallic white. I really like the Alpine white look. I'd keep the wheels black to hide those brake dust =)

BTW.... would the shop be able to buy the factory decals from the raven edition "R1 deltabox & Yamaha" from yamaha?

What shade of white do you recommend? TIA:)
You probably don't want the factory Yamaha decals. They are rediculously expensive, and they are lined with the original color of the bike, meaning, since it's for a Raven, the edges would al be black and a lot of the sticker would be black. I had that problem when I painted my 04 the Escalade Pearl White. I wanted to have it the opposite color scheme of the blue bike, which it was originally, so I bought the factory stripe to get the silver color, and I had to trim all the blue off it, and it's not easy to do a clean job. I also bought an overlay kit from Tapeworks to cover the white areas in blue. Your best bet is to just get a whole tape kit from www.tapeworks.com. You will probably save at least $50 and you can get what ever color pattern you want, and won't have to trim anything. You can even go and get the extra R1 decal and put it on the nose if you want.

Man, these are the only pics I can find right now of my old bike. All the attachments in my previous posts are erased, probably after the time the forum went down for a week.

Attachments

4,112 Posts
Oh yeah, I guess you only wanted the "R1 Deltabox III EXUP" logo. They have those too, and you can kind of see it in my pic. The only thing is, as far as I know, Tapeworks charges $12 flat rate for shipping, no matter how many decals you order, so it would kind of suck to just buy a $10 set of stickers and pay $12 for shipping. I ordered a set of rim tape for $20 and had to pay $12 again for shipping. It would have been much cheaper to order the rim tape originally with the rest of the decals. I wish I had some better pics of my bike because it might make you want to consider getting a full decal kit. They look pretty nice. You could check out my MySpace page and I have some scrolling on there. My email is [email protected] so you can just look me up like that.

· Ya whatever, save it
2,553 Posts
Keep in mind, most metallic whites will always have a little bit of a yellow hue to them..... at least if the metallic is in the paint itself.
If you really want it bright white but are sold on metallic it might look better to use a bright refridgerator white for the base color and then just a very small amount of silver pearl or blue in the clear coat over the top

· R1 Addiction
16,761 Posts
You probably don't want the factory Yamaha decals. They are rediculously expensive, and they are lined with the original color of the bike, meaning, since it's for a Raven, the edges would al be black and a lot of the sticker would be black. I had that problem when I painted my 04 the Escalade Pearl White. I wanted to have it the opposite color scheme of the blue bike, which it was originally, so I bought the factory stripe to get the silver color, and I had to trim all the blue off it, and it's not easy to do a clean job. I also bought an overlay kit from Tapeworks to cover the white areas in blue. Your best bet is to just get a whole tape kit from www.tapeworks.com. You will probably save at least $50 and you can get what ever color pattern you want, and won't have to trim anything. You can even go and get the extra R1 decal and put it on the nose if you want.

Man, these are the only pics I can find right now of my old bike. All the attachments in my previous posts are erased, probably after the time the forum went down for a week.

i remember your bike. It was the best blue/white scheme I'd ever seen. Think I remember reading a thread about it being stolen.

· Super Moderator
11,980 Posts

· Imperial Storm Trooper
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the tips guys, I might go with Alpine white which is probably not metallic right?

BTW thanks theBFA for the link....now the decision is to choose the color of the decal! hmmm...

· Forum Moderator
32,955 Posts

Nice looking bike!

· Draggin chest hairs since 2008
1,319 Posts
Alpine White is the name of the white you see on the newer BMW's. My 2003 M3 was Alpine White. It was non metallic.

But if I were you, Id go with "bluish white cocktail". Its a OEM yamaha color, its got a very slight hint of blue, maybe 5-10%. Its a pearly white, looks great.

Goodluck

4,112 Posts
i remember your bike. It was the best blue/white scheme I'd ever seen. Think I remember reading a thread about it being stolen.
I appreciate that! It was stolen and as far as I know hasn't been recovered. I bought a 05 Gixxer after that, but sold it after a couple months and got an 07 R1. I want to paint this one when I get a chance, but I have to have quite a bit of spare cash because I won't get the hook up I had last time. The only reason I had my other bike painted was because my friend laid it down, and I priced everything that had even light scratches on it and it came out to $830, and I had to get a new helmet, so my friend gave me $1000, and I found a whole set of plastics/tank/airbox cover except for the lowers for $800, and I sold all the plastics I didn't need and the extra tank and made out pretty well. Then another friend only charged me $400 for the paint job and shaving the turn signal holes because he got the Cadillac paint for free. I basically didn't have to come out of pocket at all for it.

· No doot aboot it eh?
1,542 Posts
Iceberg White or Pearl White

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.