Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I <3 my 09 R1
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls... I'm looking to replace my spark plugs in the 2009 white R1 I own this winter. should I go with the factory spark plugs or should I be using something with a little more oomph and if so.. can someone recommend a better spark plug?

·
I <3 my 09 R1
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive looked for information in old posts on what spark plugs to use... everyone is real vague here, and older posts claim no good iridium plugs are available for the 09 r1... the post I read was from 2010 .. I dunno I see people looking at this post and not responding... I can only assume no one knows anything about this or no one cares to help. either way, both cases give me a good reason to believe my Yamaha mechanic when he said don't bother with the r1 forum sites. most advise is bogus or will hurt your bike.. just looking for some help. on a basic maintenance issue.

·
I <3 my 09 R1
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as well as I've tried several parts sites... from solomotoparts. tobefast. and others. none will say which spark plugs fit my bike. guess the factory plugs are the ones to go with since no one and no parts site know what the hell to use other then factory... I guess I answered my own questions. factory is the best choice.

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,435 Posts
There is no aftermarket plug for the 09-14 R1...except a crazy expensive race plug that are like 100$/ea...:no...that are still a normal resistor type plug...

No other mfg makes a plug for our bike...I even begged a friend of mine who works in Champion's r&d shop...even they said :no...It's just too much of an odd ball plug:(

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I see people looking at this post and not responding... I can only assume no one knows anything about this or no one cares to help. either way, both cases give me a good reason to believe my Yamaha mechanic when he said don't bother with the r1 forum sites. most advise is bogus or will hurt your bike.. just looking for some help. on a basic maintenance issue.
Mate give people a chance. You only started the thread asking the question 15 minutes before writing this post. There are many people who can answer your question on this forum. Looks like you already have some good info coming in the previous couple of posts. When you posted it was 4 am in the morning for me, was your mechanic available then?

There is a wealth of experience on this forum, and yes sometimes there is bad advice mixed in but people are generally given alternative info to consider when that happens. Some members are also mechanics too I bet.

If you wish to follow the advice of your mechanic without question from now on and not ask the forum that's you decision but for someone to say not to bother with forums and most advice is bogus or will hurt your bike I believe is a little narrow minded and elitist.

I don't know your mechanic so they may be a better mechanic than God himself but it's foolish to think there are not capable, passionate and knowledgeable people on here as well. The forum is free and has a wealth of knowledge available, some of which has been learnt the hard way by members, and sometimes been contrary to Yamaha's official stance then proven to be right. (Eg, members talking about gearbox failure on 15 model which was originally denied by Yamaha if I recall correctly, ended up being a recall. Valve stem issues on some early 07 models, again, not recognized by Yamaha and there are other examples I'm sure)

Anyway, my opinion is the forum is a great free and readily accessible way to get info when you need it and I have found the quality of the info on the forum, to put it bluntly, generally craps all over the knowledge of the average bike mechanic, especially dealership mechanics.

All this is of course just my opinion and you're free to have yours too. :33:

Any other basic maintenance issues the forum can help you with?

·
Astronomer not Astrologer
10,435 Posts
:iamwithst...to be honest I only read your posts and didn't look at the time stamps, if I had I would have added something to the effect as above.

You got two solid answers in less than a day (which is kinda fast when most folks are with family over the holidays) to a question that could have been solved with the search function. In my own build thread I complain about having to use sh!tfull ngk plugs but had to in the end (because I hate them due to lots of personal crap experiences with bgk plugs) and that they were the only option.

We are all here to help each other, but we don't check every inch of this forum at every minute of the day. Someday maybe you will have an answer to a question that you can help someone with, and please do share it with them in a thread when you see it.

[\thread]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've just seen this thread... I thought the first reply was pretty quick, especially given it's New Year.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,834 Posts
All the mechanics “I” comes across in person don’t know half the info I know about my bike. I know my bike like the back of my hand.

I have this forum to thank for that.

Just replaced my starter motor in 3 hours less than a week ago and I passed the info on to another random guy from YouTube somewhere in this world who’s bike hasn’t ran in months. He didn’t know what was wrong with it until I pointed him in the right direction.

Not boasting or anything but he did get the bike running 2 days ago thanks to me and I thank this forum for that.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I agree completely. I have a 99 R1 and there is so much information here and in other forums if you take the time to search.

I've just serviced the carbs and made a few tweaks to the jetting. I thought it was quick before, but the bike runs much better, and the mid-range is impressive!

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts