Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to be able to tighten a clutch basket bolt to 58 ft. lb. and the pressure plate bolts to 7.2 ft. lb. I have a harbor freight 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive torque wrench so I think the 1/2 inch although not ideal with tighten the 58 pound nut but I broke one of the pressure plate bolts off with the other one so I want something that can be accurate at 7.2 ft. pounds or about 75 inch pounds. Let me know what you guys use. I have a lot of craftsman tools and theyre great but I have heard mixed things about them, Snap on is of course amazing, but 270 dollars for a torque wrench doesnt fit into the budget right now.. Altought do you guys think that the snap on click type ( i prefer click type ) that goes from 40 to 200 inch pounds would be acurate at 75 inch pounds? I know theyre not accurate closer to the bottom of the scale.. Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a bolt that needs to be tightened to 5.1 ft. lbs. or about 60 inch pounds too.. So I need something that will handle the gentle stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For that price Ill drive there tomorrow and give it a go, Its not that I have a problem with the harbor freight ones really its just they are not accurateat the lower side of there torque settings. Same for all torque wrenches though. Have you ever broken a bolt with the harbor one or stripped any threads? as long as it will get my bolts on and not break anything Ill give it a try! And then save for my snap on haha.

·
Banned
12,673 Posts
get a low grade inch pound wrench. just so you know 7.2 is 86.4 not 75 lbs. might save you from breaking something.

i have multiple wrenches i use. the most handy is a 5 in lbs to 50 in a 3/8 drive

·
Registered
129 Posts
For that price Ill drive there tomorrow and give it a go, Its not that I have a problem with the harbor freight ones really its just they are not accurateat the lower side of there torque settings. Same for all torque wrenches though. Have you ever broken a bolt with the harbor one or stripped any threads? as long as it will get my bolts on and not break anything Ill give it a try! And then save for my snap on haha.
No I haven't. Definitely worth it for the price. Just be sure to find the right conversion to ft lbs lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get a low grade inch pound wrench. just so you know 7.2 is 86.4 not 75 lbs. might save you from breaking something.

i have multiple wrenches i use. the most handy is a 5 in lbs to 50 in a 3/8 drive
Yeah I know you take 1 foot pound times 12 to get inch pounds I just didn't do it exactly at the time haha thanks. I'm gonna give the harbor a try and see if that will get my clutch together until I get a snap on ! So the harbor will see a lot of use lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah I know you take 1 foot pound times 12 to get inch pounds I just didn't do it exactly at the time haha thanks. I'm gonna give the harbor a try and see if that will get my clutch together until I get a snap on ! So the harbor will see a lot of use lol
I just changed mine. Threw the Barnett SR-3 spring conversion while I was in there. Worked great.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
who needs a torque wrench, screw it in till it stops turning.

:lol +1 for harbor freight. Their pittsburg products are pretty good, plus with the coupon codes they are really cheap. I can find some codes for you if you are interested. (they are always in the sport rider magazine)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey yeah I have a coupon to get it for 9.99 but if you have a better one I'm on my way there it'll take me an hour to get there haha

·
Registered
4,731 Posts

tighten a clutch basket bolt to 58 ft. lb.and the pressure plate bolts to 7.2 ft. lb. I have a harbor freight 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive torque wrench

from 40 to 200 inch pounds would be acurate at 86.4 inch pounds? I know theyre not accurate closer to the bottom of the scale..

I don't know about Harbor freight, but Craftsman torque wrenches are + or - 4% (accuracy) at 20% of the torque wrenches total capacity. 86.4 inch lbs is 43% of 200 inch lbs, well within the desired range.

You'll need another torque wrench to tighten the clutch basket bolt to 58 ft. lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Racer Dude
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing