Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
dumdedum
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Bit bored so i thought i would ask a not so silly question/start a debate about it.

So is it the front or the back wheel/tyre that turns the bike through a corner?!

Please think about it before issuing the slaging!!

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:riding

I agree, twist 2 explains it well. It is a good question if you think about it and it can become very technical if you start looking at mass vs lean vs velocity.

Post some opinions if you find anything contraversiol.

Ride safe and respect the beast :fork

·
9,925 Posts
:thumbup

I agree, if you look at the amount of feedback you get through the handlebars and what difference a small nudge make on direction of travel - the front wheel sets the direction and the rider, the bike and the rear follows whether it's counter or not.

Counter steering is the perfect example of the importance of the front wheel in the steering process and it works. I am glad I put it into practice.

Safe riding !

·
dumdedum
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree that the front wheel turns the bike. However if the front wheel leaves the ground then the bike still goes around the corner. So i think that the front turns the bike but the rear steers it after the initial countersteering input to deflect the mass. After all the rear wheel is the main gyro. If that makes any sense!

·
9,925 Posts
i agree that the front wheel turns the bike. However if the front wheel leaves the ground then the bike still goes around the corner. So i think that the front turns the bike but the rear steers it after the initial countersteering input to deflect the mass. After all the rear wheel is the main gyro. If that makes any sense!
:corn

It makes sense but this is where it gets technical. I agree with what you say. The front initial setes the direction of travel and causes the angle of lean. This sets the direction of travel for the rear wheel. It's because of the Gyroscopic effect of the rear that a set direction (by front) can be pursued by the rear even if the front lifts. And we all know that is a fact cause we feel it everyday.

This is becoming intresting, any other opinions anybody ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.